Home made Moderator

Forum rules
Please review and follow the forum rules posted in the Welcome to the SCC section at the top of our forum.
22 BRuiser

Home made Moderator

Postby 22 BRuiser » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:37 am

Here are some pics of Moderator i have made for my 17 Fireball

The mod is 9 inches long and 1.4 inches diametre, the outer tube, inner tube and front end cap are made from T-6 Aluminium and the baffles and diffuser block are made from 316 Stainless, the securing cap from Delrin.
You can barely make out in pic two that the diffuser block now has 8 holes in the flange.

Diffuser block and inner tube

Baffles in after several machining ops

I have been exparimant with several different finishes but none have yet proved satisfactory i know anodising is the way to go but there is a handling fee of $100 before they even start the anodising at my local metal finishers which is too expansive for my pocket.

Ian.

Waskawood

Re: Home made Moderator

Postby Waskawood » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:03 pm

Nice machining Bruise.
Waska
My fishing spots are so secretive that even the fish can't find them.

Virginian
Global Moderator and Gold Site Supporter

Postby Virginian » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:47 pm

Great work! Can you make them in the UK? Here in the US doing so will get you bracelets and free room & board in the house of many rooms.

eric
Show up
Do your best
Don't grumble about the outcome

RedMist
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby RedMist » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:01 pm

Super cool, Ian ! That took some expertise , those baffles had to be time consuming to machine. Looks like a winner!
" It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong. "

22 BRuiser

Postby 22 BRuiser » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:24 pm

Thanks guys, going to test it tomorrow.
You can legally make your own mod for a centrefire or rimfire rifle only if you have authorisation on your firearms licence, however tell them its for an air rifle and no licence is needed even though the mod can be exactly the same, CRAZY!!
The 316 for the baffles is pretty tough and took some time to machine, the trickiest bit being the cross slot from the front through the side if the baffle.
The mod extends over 5" of the muzzle which with the barrel of my fireball now shortened to 20" makes a nice handy package.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:38 pm

I hate to rain on anyone's parade but we need to make it known that this type of project is NOT LEGAL to complete in the USA unless you first contact the BATF for permission. The next step involves submitting plans for said design and getting an approval from the BATF prior to building any parts. There are other legal aspects to it as well so if anyone considers taking on such a project you are best advised to contact the BATF to request information on the requirements. Sorry for the legal talk but its necessary to keep our forum members and anyone else that might be reading this forum on the correct path.

Thor
Site Admin.

22 BRuiser

Postby 22 BRuiser » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:54 pm

Hi Thor, i hope i have not opened a can of worms by posting this thread, manufactoring your own sound moderator is legal in the UK, however if you feel that this thread may not be in the best interests of the site please feel free to remove it although that would be a shame.

Ian.

22 BRuiser

Postby 22 BRuiser » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:06 pm

22 BRuiser wrote:Hi Thor, i hope i have not opened a can of worms by posting this thread, manufactoring your own sound moderator is legal in the UK, however if you feel that this thread may not be in the best interests of the site please feel free to remove it although that would be a shame.

Ian.

............untill then, here is a pic of the mod on my newly shortened to 20" 17 Fireball, i also fitted a tactical bolt knob.

I was very pleased with the sound reduction from the moderato,r side by side with my friends moderated 17HMR we could not tell the difference in the sound moderation from both rifles.

Ian

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:35 pm

No need to take it down, we just needed to make sure everyone understands the legal side of things here in the US.

22 BRuiser wrote:Hi Thor, i hope i have not opened a can of worms by posting this thread, manufactoring your own sound moderator is legal in the UK, however if you feel that this thread may not be in the best interests of the site please feel free to remove it although that would be a shame.

Ian.

Virginian

Postby Virginian » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:52 pm

I would like to see how this plays out so I hope you leave it posted. Anyone/everyone should know they cannot do this in the US. If not, they will find out soon enough. ;)

Eric
Show up
Do your best
Don't grumble about the outcome

Return to “DIY Projects, Product Reviews, Company Reviews”