Noob from Comiefornia ;)

Please visit and read our welcome section
Forum rules
Welcome to the Small Caliber Club forum. Please understand that the following information has been added in the best interest of the forum, our sole intention by adding this information is to keep the forum running smoothly. We ask that each member please read and agree to the following list of forum rules prior to posting. Failure to follow the rules may cause your membership privileges to be suspended for a period of time or revoked if a problem persists. Obviously we would prefer not to have to discipline anyone so we ask that everyone please adhere to the following basic guidelines/rules.

1. This forum is for the sharing of information on all things related to the small calibers, and everyone is welcome to join.
2. We will not tolerate behavior that is deemed by the forum management to be disrespectful, antagonistic, bullying, and or negative towards any forum members.
3. Individuals are only allowed to use this forum for their personal use, if you would like to use the forum for commercial/business advertising purposes you must contact the forum management for permission prior to posting.
4. We DO NOT allow posts that suggest starting a revolution, starting an uprising against the government, or any similar type of statements.
5. For Sale Ads: Posting negative comments about another members item for sale or its price is NOT ALLOWED.
6. Each member is allowed to have one username only. Any member caught with a spoof username will be removed permanently and without notice.

* This list is not complete and more rules may be added over time as needed to keep the forum running smoothly.

Site Admin.
Marfish

Noob from Comiefornia ;)

Postby Marfish » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:30 am

Greetings. I found this site while trolling other sites, seeking load info on the .20 Practical. I like my Savage Axis 22-250 ok, and had read how easy a barrel swap could be so I went for it. (but not by sacrificing the 22-250) For this project, I found a used model 10 hunter with walnut stock, in .223 as my donor, (better quality foundation) so all I had to do was fit the new Criterion 26", SS, heavy varmint barrel and inlet the stock before staining and varnishing the raw wood under it. Ok, I also put a target spring on the accu-trigger, and a surface-ground recoil lug on the little beastie. Using a sized case, and a NO-Go gauge, with a Field gauge as final safety officer, I was sure all was good. I decided to wait for initial results before spending more money on truing the action face to the threads and bolt lands. The hardest part of the project was inletting the stock for the barrel. I have now just finished my first barrel swap, .20 cal. cartridge, and wildcat, all in one grand move. I must say it was a fun project and Savage makes it Oh-so-easy.
So anyway, last weekend I got to break it in. I hate cleaning. The delicious thing was that my fastidious activity attracted the attention of my shooting range neighbors who were wondering why this "goof-ball" was cleaning after every shot (not their words...exactly...). Lol. After introductions (and explanations) I showed them my little rounds and offered to let them shoot it. The reaction was priceless: Wham! Blam! CONVERTS on the field. Both of them hit the center bull at 100 yards on their first trigger pull, and I wasn't even done breaking in the barrel or fine tuning the scope. Rofl. Comments like, "Dang it gets there fast and I don't even lose the target", as well as, "Gee it hardly kicks at all" flew through the air. Very satisfying. :)
I had loaded 24 g Hornady NTX pills atop 26 g of 4895 for the break-in figuring that to be a fairly light load what, with slower burn and light pill and all. I left the Chronie at home since I was only breaking it in. Next time tho.
Most of the load info I've seen was on accurateshooter.com and it's sister site 6mmbR.com. while reading about the development of the little jewel. What I haven't found is continued load development in more pill and powder combinations. I could really use some guidance in that area. Here is my powder list, from fast to slow:
Hi-score X-700 (for the .357 mag)
H 110 (for the .357)
LT-32 (for...something)
IMR 4198
IMR 3031
W 748
BL-C(2), Varget, IMR 4895, Pwr Pro Varmint, (because they were mid-burn AND available)
IMR 4007 SSC
AA. 4064
H. Superformance
and somewhere in there is CFE 223 (anyone know where it sits?)

Bullets:
24 NTX
32 V-max
34 Dogtown
39 S BK

Well, that about sums me up. Happy to be here and looking forward to your ideas.
Marlan

Advertisement
Whidden Gunworks | Technology Applied To The Art Of Shooting
CRT
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

Re: Noob from Comiefornia ;)

Postby CRT » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:49 am

First off Welcome to the SCC forum! You have found a new home for 20 caliber information. :D

Based on the powder and bullet combo's you have i would give the CFE223 powder a try with the 39 Sierra bullets. If you can find some H4198 powder that is also excellent in the 20 Prac.

L.Sherm
Global Moderator and Gold Site Supporter

Postby L.Sherm » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:40 am

I have really good luck with AA2230 and 34gr.V-nitemares from midsouth.AA2230 is about impossible to find right know but exterminator is about the same. I would also try the Lt-32 CFE 223 and anything else that a 223 likes that you have.

Virginian

Postby Virginian » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:29 am

Welcome Marlan,

We are glad to have you on board. There's a great bunch of guys on here willing to help.

Eric
Show up
Do your best
Don't grumble about the outcome

Marfish

Postby Marfish » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:38 pm

Thank you all for the warm welcome.
I am excited to be here and learning about sub-caliber cartridges

Return to “Welcome to the SCC: New Forum Member Introduction”