Lapping 34mm scope rings...

Forum rules
Please review and follow the forum rules posted in the Welcome to the SCC section at the top of our forum.
Virginian
Global Moderator and Gold Site Supporter

Lapping 34mm scope rings...

Postby Virginian » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:24 pm

I bought my first nice pice of glass and it's going on a 6mm BR that I'm cobbling together.These rings are Talley rings and are steel. I checked with my gunsmith and he doesn't have the equipment to lap 34mm rings. Before I mount this scope and put ring marks and/or a pressure dent in it; does anyone have any suggestions?

Eric

Show up
Do your best
Don't grumble about the outcome

Advertisement
Whidden Gunworks | Technology Applied To The Art Of Shooting
Ramos

Re: Lapping 34mm scope rings...

Postby Ramos » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:10 pm

FWIW, Talley would tell you not to lap those rings. Partly, out of pride. Mostly because of their design. With most rings, you can firmly anchor the bottom half to the base or receiver. Then the top half is mounted with a 'soft' fit around the lapping bar. The vertical rings will tighten on to the base and bar/scope simultaneously. Not saying it can't be done, mind you. However, somewhat doubtful on the odds of success. Where to source a 34mm bar? No idea, as I have never had the bingo shells for a tube that big! :mrgreen: If you have access to a lathe, it would not take too much to turn down a 1 3/8" (34.9 mm) shaft.

Virginian

Postby Virginian » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:49 pm

Thanks Ramos. Is there some kind of very thin protective condom (for better choice of words ;)) that I can put around the tube before I set it in the rings that might protect it but not impede the mounting? Maybe something like "plumber's tape". That tape is really thin.

Eric
Show up
Do your best
Don't grumble about the outcome

Clint E

Postby Clint E » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:55 am

I am sure this is a cobled together rifle ;) . More like a master piece in the works and cant wait to see the finished product. Keep us updated on the build.

Return to “DIY Projects, Product Reviews, Company Reviews”