Stock from scratch

Forum rules
Please review and follow the forum rules posted in the Welcome to the SCC section at the top of our forum.
RedMist
Expert
Expert

Re: Stock from scratch

Postby RedMist » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:14 pm

Bedding process started for the block. This is a first for me, not sure what is the best way to go about it, so I bedded the bottom and back of the block.

Not too shabby !

Had to lap the rings as they are Burris but not the Signature series..

Getting closer all the time.

" It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong. "

Advertisement
Whidden Gunworks | Technology Applied To The Art Of Shooting
SShooterZ

Postby SShooterZ » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:50 pm

Ahh the delicate hands of a proctologist. You are quite gifted Misty.

RedMist
Expert
Expert

Postby RedMist » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:20 am

Made some time to get this monstrosity to the bench. It had rained all day, still spitting, but I was gonna get some shooting done or know the reason why. Prepped a few 17FB case, loaded with a mild load of 20 grs Exterminator and some naked 25gr Vmax for breakin.

It sets in the bags very well, it should weighing 30 lbs, lol. I left the butt-plate flat, I might have to change that, not sure I like messing with the front rest all the time for elevation changes. I understand for serious consistency , that's the proper technique, but in the field for PD's it's a lot handier to slide back and forth as needed on the rear bag to make minor vertical changes.

Recoil was everything I hoped it would be, just about zero! There is a little muzzle rise, but it's slow and gentle, on 22.5X at 100yds I can see the bullet impact the paper. Just hold and slowly squeeze the 2oz Jewel and sure enough, a nice 17 cal hole appears! It will be a phenomenal view, even at the higher scope power settings, if I want to zoom in on a PD at fairly close range to pick which flea I'm going to shoot off of him, I can do so. And NOT have to back off the scope power. I've gotten hooked on seeing the bullets impact from shooting my 17VHA. Redmist Like.

I think it wants to shoot also. These were shots 3-5, after getting it on paper. I'm pretty sure I coated this bore with the Dyna-Tek Bore Coat ( Have to check my notes, I'm slowly catching up with Hog and Waska re: CRS...of course I actually HAVE a job, so am busier..) The rain picked back up so I had to retreat since I don't even have primer on it yet.

Unfired 17 FB case right, fire-formed 17/23 SMc left. I really like this chambering for the increased performance over the 17FB and the lack of brass movement. In my walking rifle, a CZ in 17/23 Smc, I can go 3-4 firings just using a Lee Collet Neck die for resizing. A huge advantage, IMO.

All in all , it was a successful debut. With the view destroying recoil enervated , my major goal was attained. Now to do some final mods, fit a wood cheek piece, trigger guard, paint etc..
" It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong. "

Virginian
Global Moderator and Gold Site Supporter

Postby Virginian » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:40 am

Redmist has gone Medieval on varmints! :geek:

Eric
Show up
Do your best
Don't grumble about the outcome

SShooterZ

Postby SShooterZ » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:14 pm

Hey Misty, saw this on the Clay Spencer site and thought of you...

Looks like it might become a popular option among shooters after all. :)

RedMist
Expert
Expert

Postby RedMist » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:55 am

Dang!! That solid aluminum stock is bada$$ !! I wonder if anyone has the mill program to turn out a few of those, I bet that's a hummer!

Virginian

Postby Virginian » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:06 pm

RedMist wrote:Dang!! That solid aluminum stock is bada$$ !! I wonder if anyone has the mill program to turn out a few of those, I bet that's a hummer!

Clay Spencer did. He has incredible milling machines in his shop. He was having health issues but you might want to give him a call.

Eric
Show up
Do your best

RedMist
Expert
Expert

Postby RedMist » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:45 am

Finally made some time to get the trigger guard done. Found a scrap piece and shaped it on the anvil a bit. Not try to get super fancy, I just need to get it done!

Welded it in place.

Had a buddy help me put a taper on the bottom of the stock. It was flat previously, which tracks nice, but lacks the versatility for varmint shooting in the field, I move the rifle fore and aft to get elevation changes instead of messing with the front rest every time. We'll see how I like it during testing.

Maybe I can get it cleaned up today and get a coat of primer on it.

Virginian

Postby Virginian » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:21 am

It's coming along nicely.
Show up
Do your best

SShooterZ

Postby SShooterZ » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:09 pm

Almost looks from the picture, might be the angle though, that the trigger would hit the trigger guard.

How much clearance to you have?

Return to “DIY Projects, Product Reviews, Company Reviews”