Stock from scratch

Forum rules
Please review and follow the forum rules posted in the Welcome to the SCC section at the top of our forum.
Hogpatrol

Re: Stock from scratch

Postby Hogpatrol » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:52 pm

When finished, get it chrome plated. :D

Advertisement
Whidden Gunworks | Technology Applied To The Art Of Shooting
Waskawood

Postby Waskawood » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:55 pm

C-mon Hog, don't be silly. Misty is a wealthy double dipping flying farmer. I'm betting on it being sterling silver with gold inlay! ;)
Waska
My fishing spots are so secretive that even the fish can't find them.

Hogpatrol

Postby Hogpatrol » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:11 pm

Waskawood wrote:C-mon Hog, don't be silly. Misty is a wealthy double dipping flying farmer. I'm betting on it being sterling silver with gold inlay! ;)

You're right. I forgot he was making the big bucks. I'll suggest he mill a couple pockets and inlay some diamonds. Then he can name it "The Crown Jewel" of his massive collection. :lol:

Clint E

Postby Clint E » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:31 am

Looks good redmist . Dents in the walls can be fixed with a rubber mallet .

Virginian
Global Moderator and Gold Site Supporter
Global Moderator and Gold Site Supporter

Postby Virginian » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:18 pm

I'm following this project. Way out of my league to tackle something like this.

Eric
Show up
Do your best
Don't grumble about the outcome

RedMist
Expert
Expert

Postby RedMist » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:11 pm

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen. Got a little more done, I need to wrap this up before I get in the field..

Handle placement went fine.

I want as little " tinny" harmonics as possible so I filled the hand grip with a proprietary substance, no use telling y'all what it is, in case in doesn't work!

Got it tamped in , left a little space for heat expansion, still was a PITA to weld the end cap on. Had to essentially spot weld it and cool it every 10 seconds.

" It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong. "

RedMist
Expert
Expert

Postby RedMist » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:24 pm

Confucius say, " he who works alone must have lots of clamps."

For lack of a better idea, I kept the buttplate top in line with the waist section. The action sets into the heavy wall tubing with the bore line slightly above. The steel stock won't be comfy, but I have plans to address that issue, and solve the scope height/cheek weld problem that develops with the bigger scopes, hopefully at the same time. For now I wanted to make sure I could get a cleaning rod down it no problem without hitting the cheek rest area, of course with this setup I could always unbolt the block from the stock and then clean it, which I may do on the 2.0 version, time will tell....

It's coming along now, have to drill my mounting holes and finish up some loose ends. I want to make it a smooth flowing transition between the round well pipe I used for the hand grip and the flat stock used for the butt plate... It takes time to fill in with weld material and then shape it with the grinder. Lots of passes..Image
" It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong. "

RedMist
Expert
Expert

Postby RedMist » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:37 pm

Now I have to finish weld everything I just had tacked. Some of the butt joints would normally have raised beads on them when finished but I want a smooth corner in this case. Also where the block sets up against the backing plate, has to be nice and square.

I pre-ground a groove in this joint.

The slowly filled it with material, joining the two pieces, going slow and cooling it often. It still tried to warp a little on me, should be able to get it back straight when I do the other side.

Hogpatrol

Postby Hogpatrol » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:47 pm

Waskawood wrote:What caliber is this going to be?

2 & 3/4" rocket. :lol: He's going to use it to dispatch those cute little bunnies that ate his trees this winter.

RedMist
Expert
Expert

Postby RedMist » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:09 pm

Can a cracka get an Amen for these beads?!?!?!

Return to “DIY Projects, Product Reviews, Company Reviews”