Stock from scratch

Forum rules
Please review and follow the forum rules posted in the Welcome to the SCC section at the top of our forum.
RedMist
Expert
Expert

Stock from scratch

Postby RedMist » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:41 pm

I've been wanting a barrel block setup for some time. This will be used for colony varmints only, not gonna be carrying this around, so don't even start with me. I've learned, for me, that I would rather have a heavy bench gun (20# +) than a " normal " 11# one. Mediocrity is for sissy-boys, give me extremes baby!! If I'm gonna shoot a rifle off the bench for 200 rds a day, I want it to be heavy enough to soak up all the recoil and not have any muzzle jump. Seeing little furry critters explode at 20X in my scope is what it's about for me.

Now that we have the stage set, this is what I'm doing. Since I have a barrel block setup, ( Thanks to SKI ! ) why not make my own stock and make it to actually fit me?? And if I'm making it, why not make it out of something heavy , like steel? Any neanderthal can chisel and sand on a block of wood, lets make something that will bring some meat to the table. Smell what I'm stepping in??

First ya gotta have a mockup so you don't tear up your new barreled action..

Don't mind the dead deer...he's just thawing out in the shop since he's froze solid... :)

" It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong. "

Advertisement
Whidden Gunworks | Technology Applied To The Art Of Shooting
RedMist
Expert
Expert

Re: Stock from scratch

Postby RedMist » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:51 pm

I took one of my at-the-moment unused Bobby Hart stocks to the shop. I like the ergo's on these, although they are a little short for me. I will simply scale it up and go from there..

I had gotten a few pieces of steel, trying to visualize what I need..

Finally got settled on the fore-end piece, put an nice solid 3/8" chunck for the " lug " portion. Had to hollow out room for the barrel contour. Free hand grinding in a dimly lit shop separates the men from the boys.

" It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong. "

RedMist
Expert
Expert

Postby RedMist » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:57 pm

Doing normal for me, changed the design 3 times already, scrapped most of what I had made so far..fabbing is not for the faint of heart. That's why my shed walls have so many dents in them! 8-) Always have a scrap piece handy to throw instead of the important one you're working on at the time...I've learned that lesson, believe me.

Design #3, marking out the trigger area. Fire up the plasma cutter and curse those last 3 mugs of coffee you had..

Even the Chicago folks should be able to see this is a bolt handle cut-out. Free hand ground of course...can't have too much precision!

Found a pipe that has the perfect radius for my grip.

RedMist
Expert
Expert

Postby RedMist » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:48 pm

Getting closer all the time.

Off to work for a few days, so will be next week before I get anymore done.

Nor Cal Mikie
5 Gold Star Level Site Supporter 2018
5 Gold Star Level Site Supporter 2018

Postby Nor Cal Mikie » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:12 am

You are THE MAN!! Think BIG or go home! 8-) 8-) 50 pound bench shooter? First class all the way. Straight pipes, a BIG HEAVY stock and someone to pack it to the bench? Priceless. :D
OZ never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Hogpatrol

Postby Hogpatrol » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:38 pm

Looks good. Now all you need is a gimbal mount on the roof of the truck. :P

RedMist
Expert
Expert

Postby RedMist » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:12 pm

Got some more time in the shop this week, worked on the butt stock portion. Had a different model welded up but didn't care for it so made one out of 3/8 plate. Had some scrap I welded together, trying to decide on the hand placement cutout.

That should work.

RedMist
Expert
Expert

Postby RedMist » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:17 pm

Plasma cutter didn't care for this heavier stuff so had to break out the "off the Mayflower" torch to get my plate to size. Off course I had to butt 2 together to get the correct height..

I have a PhD running a 4" grinder....or I should anyway as much time as I have on one, lol

Goodbye seam! Hopefully after the paint it on, you'll not even be able to tell where it was merged by Miller.

RedMist
Expert
Expert

Postby RedMist » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:20 pm

Getting the grip attachment final welded. I'm adding quite a bit of material to get round edges, make for, you guessed it, more grinder time!

Hopefully will get the butt stock welded on next week. Stay tuned!

Waskawood

Postby Waskawood » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:44 am

What caliber is this going to be?
Waska
My fishing spots are so secretive that even the fish can't find them.

Return to “DIY Projects, Product Reviews, Company Reviews”