Green Mountain Barrels

Forum rules
Please review and follow the forum rules posted in the Welcome to the SCC section at the top of our forum.
Clint E

Re: Green Mountain Barrels

Postby Clint E » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:42 pm

Nor Cal Mike i was shocked with the turn around time on my barrel as well and i ordered it on a holiday weekend. I am waiting to see how they shoot but from the looks of CRTs groups i do not think they will end up as tomato stakes any time soon.

Advertisement
Whidden Gunworks | Technology Applied To The Art Of Shooting
JINGWEED
Double Silver Star Level Site Supporter
Double Silver Star Level Site Supporter

Postby JINGWEED » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:30 pm

I have had 3 of their barrels and not one complaint on any of them. I believe MGM uses them for their contender and encore builds. A good barrel at a good price and you can't beat the turn around time.

Ramos

Postby Ramos » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:52 am

Very interesting, guys. Usually when something seems to good to be true, it is. Usually, but not always. I do not doubt your findings one little bit. I would like to know how they are doing it for one third the price. Wonder if they are simply buying market share (for CF) and will start inching the price up? Might want to build yourselves a little stock pile while the buying is good. Have fun!

CRT
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

Postby CRT » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:33 pm

I think the reason that they price them the way they do is based on a couple criteria. First they produce the barrels in large numbers ( i believe they are the biggest barrel manufacturer in the US currently). Second they don't contour or hand lap the barrels so they save machine time and labor. I have no doubt that they will be showing a price increase soon.

Nor Cal Mikie
5 Gold Star Level Site Supporter 2018
5 Gold Star Level Site Supporter 2018

Postby Nor Cal Mikie » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:41 am

You mentioned "hand lapping"? I was looking for a .270 barrel for a Wildcat project and didn't want to spend BIG $$, wait for months and not be happy if the round didn't perform to my expectations.
Found a couple of Wilson barrel blanks. Bid on both and was only able to get one. (better than no barrel) ;) Not the prefered contour that I was after but I had to start somewhere to see how the round was going to work.
I was told by my Guy that was to do the chambering that Wilson barrels were junk because they wern't lapped. Turns out that that Wilson is one of the smoothest barrels I've ever run a patch through and 1/2" groups at 100 yards are the norm. :D
I think it boils down to what works best for you and your situation. With all the top line barrels, there's always a chance that you can get a dud. Heard of a few folks that have gotten one but not many.
Most are BR shooters so I expect they're expectations are much higher than mine? If I can cover a 5 shot group with a dime, you'll have a hard time wiping the grin off my face.
For the inital cost, the Green Mountain barrel is a deal you can't beat. And the delivery time makes it just that much better. 8-)
OZ never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

WYO

Postby WYO » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:03 pm

I can attest to the accuracy for these Green Mountain barrels being sub minute of prairie dog and small birds at distances beyond the typical 100 yard testing distance. We socked em good didn't we CRT!

L.Sherm
Global Moderator and Gold Site Supporter

Postby L.Sherm » Wed May 14, 2014 1:46 am

We'll the proof is in the pudding as the saying goes,just take a look at the groups that Brad posted for me on my 20SCC. I've got Liljas, Shilen, Douglas Pac-Nor, now green mountain barrels and to be honest I can't really tell the difference in how they shoot for accuracy. I was really impressed at how the PAC-Nor barrel broke in very quick and cleans up very easy, not to say that the green mountain barrel doesn't clean bad I would just have to give the nod to Pac-Nor in that department and I am sure it's because of the lapping on the Pac-Nor who knows I keep the threatning to lap a green mountain barrel myself :D
Last edited by L.Sherm on Wed May 14, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CRT
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

Postby CRT » Wed May 14, 2014 8:49 am

The barrel on my new 5/35 smc is also a green mountain. I noticed the first couple times i cleaned it that it was fouling a little more than normal. I decided to take the JB's to it, afterwards its smooth as can be on the inside and the fouling is greatly reduced. Now i need to get a good load worked up for it and see how it shoots. :D

rimfiremike

Postby rimfiremike » Wed May 14, 2014 3:46 pm

All these good reviews has me very excited for the Green Mountain barrel that I have in the works in 20 Practical AI.

I will likely take the JB to it like Brad mentioned and ensure it is nice and smooth if it fouls much at all.

I'll report back on how it is when I receive it.

- Mike

L.Sherm

Postby L.Sherm » Wed May 14, 2014 5:15 pm

Brad how long did it take you to lap a barrel I've never attempted it :?:

Return to “DIY Projects, Product Reviews, Company Reviews”