Green Mountain Barrels

Forum rules
Please review and follow the forum rules posted in the Welcome to the SCC section at the top of our forum.
CRT
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

Green Mountain Barrels

Postby CRT » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:25 pm

I have heard many people ask about the Green Mountain barrel blanks so I decided to test them out. Last year i purchased a Green Mountain 17 caliber barrel for a 17HH build on a CZ 527 action. The rifle shot fairly well however i had numerous problems with flaws in the factory brass. Not being a big fan of rimmed cartridges anyways i decided to sell the rifle. That being said I didn't feel like I got a real chance to test the barrel to the extent that I wanted to. A couple months ago I was able to pick up a couple more CZ actions to be used as build projects and hence the opportunity to test another Green Mountain barrel. I recently decided to use one of the CZ 527's I acquired to build a 20 caliber for next summers Pdog/ground squirrel outing. I placed an order with Green Mountain for one of their 25" Stainless 1.06" diameter 20 caliber 12 twist barrels. The price for the barrel with shipping and tax was around $125 (a bargain in today's market). The barrel was ordered on a Monday and was delivered on Thursday. After unpackaging the barrel it was obvious that it needed to be polished, the barrel's are rough on the outside as delivered. I had the barrel chucked up in the CNC lathe and spun while we ran a sanding foam block over it. The speed of the lathe aided in a quick and painless polishing. Within a few minutes we had the barrel polished up and looking good. Once that was complete I packaged the barrel up with the action and sent it off to have it chambered and fitted. I decided to go with a 20 tactical chambering on this build, the reamer specs are minimum and it has a no turn .233 neck. I should have the rifle back in a couple months, at that time I will mount a scope on it and get some brass formed. I plan to use some of the IMI .223 brass that I was able to set aside earlier this year, as well as a Redding 20 tac form die and Redding 2 die set to make the final product. Stay tuned for some pictures, additional information, loads, and accuracy reports in a couple months when the rifle is completed.

Brad

Advertisement
Whidden Gunworks | Technology Applied To The Art Of Shooting
CRT
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

Re: Green Mountain Barrels

Postby CRT » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:34 pm

Here is a pic of the CZ 527 17 HH i had built last year with a Green Mountain stainless steel barrel.

Nor Cal Mikie
5 Gold Star Level Site Supporter 2018

Postby Nor Cal Mikie » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:47 pm

Got my CM blank and I'am trying to decide which round I want to chamber it in. I'am still working on ammo to see what load will work best but I'am leaning towards chambering it in the 20 VT "short".
Out of a 16" Savage rear grip bolt action pistol, I'am seeing "no" recoil. I'am figuring with a heavy barrel around 25", there should be no movement. That's exactily what I was after. :D
Almost tempted to order up another GM barrel so I can chamber it in the 20 VT.
The 20 VT is a no brainer.
So far, the "short" is showing real good results. Still looking for pressure signs but nothing showing. Full case is 14 grains of AA2460 to the shoulder neck junction. I've worked up to 13.5 so my next range trip should tell. Got to 13.0 with 40 grainers and no problems. 8-)
OZ never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

CRT
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

Postby CRT » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:41 pm

Here is the pic of my completed 20 Tac rifle with the Green Mountain Stainless steel barrel. I will post additional information soon in reference to how it performs in the accuracy dept. I will also report back on fouling and how the barrel cleans up after shooting. Stay tuned for additional information once it warms up just a little.

Nor Cal Mikie

Postby Nor Cal Mikie » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:46 pm

Just recieved my 25" Green Mountain CM straight pipe back from chambering in 20 VT. ( took less than a week to get it from Green Mountain and a week to get it threaded, crowned and chambered.
It always helps to have a friend with a lathe that plays with guns. ;) Used my .234 neck reamer so neck turning will be few and far between. Should be shooting by the first of the week. :D

CRT
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

Postby CRT » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:33 pm

I finally had the chance to get out and shoot my 20 tac today. I will post pics shortly with the results. Needless to say i was very happy with the 1/2" groups I was getting out of the Green Mountain barrel during break in. :D

CRT
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

Postby CRT » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:02 pm

Nor Cal Mikie

Postby Nor Cal Mikie » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:34 pm

What's not to like about those groups? The more rounds that get fired through those barrels, the better they get. The delivery time and the price can't be beat. :D

Song Dog

Postby Song Dog » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:17 pm

That is good groups for a $125 barrel. That will make it VERY hard for me to buy a $400 again lol

Nor Cal Mikie

Postby Nor Cal Mikie » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:45 pm

Being new to the "20" caliber game and use to spending $300.00+ and waiting for months to get a chambered barrel, I figured I had nothing to loose. The 20 VT caught my attention.
I had picked up a couple of Savage take off barrels in .204 Ruger, had them set back (chamber shortened to fit the 20 VT) and started working on loads. The barrels wern't the contour I would have chose as a starting project but they were a "start". In the mean time I had a reamer cut to my 20 VT specs from PT&G.
Being somewhat familiar with the Green Mountain name from my Black Powder shooting and from reading what some had posted on the forums, I figured I would take a chance and get one. The price was a surprise. 8-) Then another surprise when it showed up in less than a week. I was on a roll. :D
I was busy trying do decide if I wanted to chamber the blank with my new reamer in 20 VT or go to the 20 VT "short". Finally just ordered up another blank. It also showed up in about a week. First CM blank came in the white while the second had a blued finish. Still trying to figure that one out.
Shipped both blanks and reamer off to my "go to Man" and let him do his magic. Had one chambered in 20 VT and the other cut "short" to fit the 20 VT "short" case.
Both are like silk when you run a patch down the bore. Anybody thinking about another barrel should really consider the Green Mountain. Wait time, price and quality in my opinion, can't be beat. Thinking I need to order up a couple more, just in case. ;)

Return to “DIY Projects, Product Reviews, Company Reviews”