FnH SCAR 17s review

Forum rules
Please review and follow the forum rules posted in the Welcome to the SCC section at the top of our forum.
Virginian
Global Moderator and Gold Site Supporter

FnH SCAR 17s review

Postby Virginian » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:40 am

I've been meaning to post up some of my results on this rifle and this post is long overdue. In my never ending quest of posting needless information on a small caliber forum, here ya go! :ugeek:

I purchased this rifle from Charles, at A&A Arsenal http://www.aaarsenal.com/. He's a stand up guy, a Marine (happy birthday to the Marines by the way! 8-) ) with very handsome prices. Check him out of you get a chance.

I will start off by saying that I never intended on purchasing the SCAR heavy. A while back, Charles says you have to shoot this rifle. So we stepped out back and I fired 5 rounds. I was floored at the lack of recoil. I would put the recoil of this .308, just a tad harsher than shooting a .223. Simply put, amazing! Damn you Charles! Now I need to own one. :evil:

For optics I wound up going with a Vortex Viper HS Tactical Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 5-15x 44mm Side Focus 1/10 MIL Adjustments Mil-Dot Reticle Matte. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/183567 It's basically it's a PST minus the illumination and FFP. But! The retail on it is only $499. This is a Midway exclusive and occasionally you will find them on sale for $400ish. In my opinion, a very good value for the money. There's a good thread (rather long) on the Hide that digs down into the weeds on this scope if you have any interest.

Nice lens covers and a sun shade is included.

Lapel pin :? and shims for the zero stop on the scope.

For mounting the scope I'm using a LaRue Tactical SPR / M4 Scope Mount QD LT104. 1st cabin here on my scope mount. Be sure to ask about the Armadillo Seasoning! http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-spr-m4-scope-mount-qd-lt-104

The 17s comes with one magazine, a lock, and a owners manual. What!!! No lapel pin! :P :lol:

I've mounted and bore sight the scope and took a quick picture on my bench.

I'm working up loads to break her in and I'll post up that info here soon. I will take some pictures through the scope to give you an idea of clarity as well. For now I'm just going into detail of my set up.

This thread will take a while to complete but I will post up what I can as I move forward. As always, thanks for reading!

Eric

(more to come)
Show up
Do your best
Don't grumble about the outcome

Advertisement
Whidden Gunworks | Technology Applied To The Art Of Shooting
CRT
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

Re: FnH SCAR 17s review

Postby CRT » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:48 pm

That's a nice rifle, thank you for sharing the pics

JINGWEED
Double Silver Star Level Site Supporter
Double Silver Star Level Site Supporter

Postby JINGWEED » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:18 pm

Awesome looking rifle and the scope tops it off great. Nice rig!!!

Virginian

Postby Virginian » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:49 am

CRT wrote:That's a nice rifle, thank you for sharing the pics

Thanks for the kind words friend.
Show up
Do your best

Virginian

Postby Virginian » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:50 am

JINGWEED wrote:Awesome looking rifle and the scope tops it off great. Nice rig!!!

Jingweed, as always thank you!
Show up
Do your best

Virginian

Postby Virginian » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:57 pm

In my never ending persuit of posting needless information on a small caliber forum of a big bore battle rifle, here's the next installment... :ugeek: <---- love the Uber Geek emote!

Breakdown for cleaning is simply put freak'n amazing. In under 1 minute disassembles including the firing pin. Brilliant design! Two thumbs up here.

The initial cleaning of the barrel only took about a half a dozen patches before she came clean. Side note, anyone ever have a go at a CZ? 50 patches later it's still coming out dirty with packing grease. lol :P

After I cleaned her up and reassembled I decided to check the trigger pull. Good gawd... I'm going to have to research fixes for this. After using 1 or 2 lbs. trigger pulls on most of my rifles, I felt like I needed to eat a bowl of Wheaties before pulling on this bad boy. Two thumbs down. In FnH's defense this most likely is the correct trigger pull for a battle rifle out in the field of hard knocks.

Here's the info on the load I'm using. Just a starting load at this point and I hope I have time to dial it in better.
- 178gr Hornady HPBTM A-max
- 42.5 RL-15
- Lapua brass
- Federal GM210M
- 2.820 oal
- light taper crimp

I had to laugh at this picture, when I was working on loads for this .308, it felt like a I was working on a howitzer after working on the 17 Mach IV all summer. lol

Ok here's a quick view of sighting her in. I'm walking her in at 100 yards and it's looking real promising with regards to windage. The spread right to left was roughly under 1/2"! WooHoo!

Here's a quick picture of my awesome-sauce corn field saami spec range I use for my load development.

Note the high tech boonie hat brass catcher! :geek:

I only shot 5 groups and they were all about the same size groups and this picture is a good representation of my outcome. Nothing really notable here, more a case of point of interest for someone. I forgot to measure the exact group size...

The spent brass came out fine, no real damage or jacked up mouths.

Last picture for this installment. What's interesting to me is the spent gases kind of dusted the barrel with a rust color dust on it. I thought it was notable.

More to come when I have time. It's been a tough fall & winter for me personally and professionally. I've had zero time to work on any of my projects.

As always, thanks for reading.

Eric
Last edited by Virginian on Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
Show up
Do your best

RedMist
Expert
Expert

Postby RedMist » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:52 pm

Very cool Eric! Thanks for the pics.
" It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong. "

Clint E

Postby Clint E » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:08 pm

Nice update and hey if the hat works then use it. When i had an ar i used a peice of inertube and made a flap so the brass fell straight down to the side.

Return to “DIY Projects, Product Reviews, Company Reviews”