Hench-Bench

Forum rules
Please review and follow the forum rules posted in the Welcome to the SCC section at the top of our forum.
RedMist
Expert
Expert

Hench-Bench

Postby RedMist » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:50 pm

Got turned on to this bench by a gun-writer that is a big fan. Called Reed and arranged a meeting to pick one up since I was going to be in SD anyway. Shipping money saved is gas in the tank right??! :) He was kind enough to meet me after hours and demonstrate the bench for me. I have a BR Pivot, excellent bench, but not extremely portable. I use it in the bed of my pickup, it's unparalleled there. The ability to pan back and forth while being stable is highly desirable.

So I really needed a light, portable but stable bench. More benches on the market than ticks on a coon hound, but they are not all created equal ! This one is very unique.

It folds down flat for transport, the stool does the same. Quite ingenious. Image

Made for L or R shooters.

ImageImage
" It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong. "

Advertisement
Whidden Gunworks | Technology Applied To The Art Of Shooting
RedMist
Expert
Expert

Re: Hench-Bench

Postby RedMist » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:00 pm

It sets up in seconds, literally. VERY stable. I used it for some long range shooting. Once set, it's as good as my concrete bench at home. He gave me two different heights of stools to try. Found out I need the both depending on what rest system I use. The higher one using for standard fore and aft bags..

The lower on for using a cradle bag setup.Image

The cradled bag works well for scattered targets, you can just swivel the bag approx 30 degrees each way. The two-piece rest can be panned, but not as much. However, I did find it's fairly quick and painless to just move the whole bench with everything setting on it.I wouldn't have guessed that a bench this light could be so stable. It's all in the design. Take a look at http://www.towerstool.com, I think you will be impressed. They don't break the bank either...

It's worth a visit there just to talk with Reed. He's getting up in years and has done A LOT ! Who knows, maybe if he take a liking to you, he'll send you to a PD patch, like he did me! I'm very glad I stopped there on my travels. The bench he showed me is now mine! Autographed even !! ;)
" It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong. "

Ramos

Postby Ramos » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:39 pm

Nice little set-up. I checked his website but, did not see any pricing. Care to share? Also, wonder if he sells plans for table and stool. Glad you had a fun trip!

RedMist
Expert
Expert

Postby RedMist » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:06 pm

The bench was $160. I'm not sure if he sells plans or not. It has a considerable amount of long hinges in it, rivets also. Could be replicated, but not with the average guys equipment, IMO

Ramos

Postby Ramos » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:29 pm

Seems pretty reasonable for a hand crafted item.

Return to “DIY Projects, Product Reviews, Company Reviews”