GoPro Hero4 Review

Forum rules
Please review and follow the forum rules posted in the Welcome to the SCC section at the top of our forum.
Virginian
Global Moderator and Gold Site Supporter

GoPro Hero4 Review

Postby Virginian » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:40 am

GoPro recently announced their Hero4 Session action cam. This camera is a different approach regarding size compared to existing GoPro cameras. When this camera hit the market it was priced at $399 which in my opinion was way out of the price range for the features and benefits you got for your money. GoPro mad the decision to drop the price to $299. I still felt is was too much money and never gave it another thought. Well, GoPro dropped the price again to $199. So I purchased one and found a retailer with a coupon for 10% off and free shipping. So ultimately I paid $179.10 delivered.

This review I felt was noteworthy to the varmint hunter or shooter in general if you enjoy documenting you events. I'll talk a bit more later on how an action camera just might be the ticket for your intended purpose.

I’ve been testing it and have a pretty good handle on how it works. I’ve taken it on multiple trips and beat the crap out of it in every way I could think of. And the results might just surprise you (both good and bad).

I like to disclose where I get my devices. I purchased this one from clevertraining.com and here's a link to the actual product. At the time of this review the discount code for 10% off is DCR10MHD.

http://www.clevertraining.com/gopro-hero-4-session

With that said – let’s jump into the review!

First up let's see what's in the box. It comes in a hard plastic case that really protects it during shipping to the store and eventually to the end user. The camera is attached in one of the frame cases to a flat base using a standard GoPro mounts. I would save this flat base as it's perfect for placing on a table or any flat surface.

In the box you have the manual and GoPro stickers, sticky mounts and previously noted the flat base plate mount. One sticky mount is flat, the other curved for helmets.

There are three different mount adapters. One is your standard mount you’ve seen on previous GoPro action cameras. One in the middle is a new ball-joint mount that rotates around and locks in place. The last one is a new low-profile adapter for the Hero4 Session to keep it lower to a helmet or possibly your rifle or scope.

There are two frame ‘cases’, they resemble an exoskeleton. I talk about these more later but essentially they're one of the greatest features of this camera.

Also included is a micro-USB cable that plugs into the unit. It’s just a standard micro-USB cable, like those used on many smart phones. Plug it into your laptop of phone charger and you're off and rolling.

Show up
Do your best
Don't grumble about the outcome

Advertisement
Whidden Gunworks | Technology Applied To The Art Of Shooting
Virginian

Re: GoPro Hero4 Review

Postby Virginian » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:52 am

This review will take a while to finish as I've literally had zero time to work on anything fun.

Finally, the GoPro Hero4 Session itself. It's size is a perfect cube 1.5" x 1.5" (38.1mm x 38.1mm)

Here's a picture of it next to the Hero4. It's quite a bit smaller but thicker then the Hero4.

Show up
Do your best
Don't grumble about the outcome

Return to “DIY Projects, Product Reviews, Company Reviews”