Reloading the 22 WMR?

Forum rules
Please review and follow the forum rules posted in the Welcome to the SCC section at the top of our forum.
MGP

Reloading the 22 WMR?

Postby MGP » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:49 am

Recently acquired a 22 WMR rifle &, like everyone else, am having difficulty finding ammo. Did get some from a friend to at least shoot it & try three different types. Like all rimfires it seems to have a preference for certain ammo & despises others. With the current ammo shortage, which may go on for some time, just buying any ammo that becomes available appears to be the only option in the foreseeable future. Saw an article about reloading 22WMR with higher quality bullets with better BC's which sparked an idea to use the 37 gr Calhoons that I have a plentiful supply of. I'm thinking it would be possible to just buy what ammo becomes available, even if it doesn't shoot well in my rifle, replace the bullet with the Calhoon & get better ballistics & good accuracy. Has anybody gone down this road that can give some insight as to whether this is worth the effort? I have the necessary tools on hand to do it.

Advertisement
Whidden Gunworks | Technology Applied To The Art Of Shooting
Hogpatrol

Re: Reloading the 22 WMR?

Postby Hogpatrol » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:15 pm

I recall a member of another shooting forum reloading .17HMRs with Lil' Gun. Upped the speed over 3000 but pressure was a little off the Richter Scale. :lol: He had to pick pieces of brass and burned powder out of places in the receiver he never expected. :o

Virginian
Global Moderator and Gold Site Supporter
Global Moderator and Gold Site Supporter

Re: Reloading the 22 WMR?

Postby Virginian » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:35 pm

Several people have tried reloading rimfire and it usually doesn't end well. I would strongly recommend not trying. I'm sure if you google it there's some sort of documented history of others trying.

Eric
Show up
Do your best
Don't grumble about the outcome

Return to “MISC: Rimfires, Handguns, Knives, Cooking”