Tomahawks and throwing knives

Forum rules
Please review and follow the forum rules posted in the Welcome to the SCC section at the top of our forum.
Virginian
Global Moderator and Gold Site Supporter

Tomahawks and throwing knives

Postby Virginian » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:51 pm

Anybody throw any knives or tomahawks? I made a couple hawks and have a couple more to finish. When the BBQs get rolling, staple a playing card and have at it. It's an absolute ball for family and friends when they come over.

Eric

Show up
Do your best
Don't grumble about the outcome

Advertisement
Whidden Gunworks | Technology Applied To The Art Of Shooting
JINGWEED
Double Silver Star Level Site Supporter

Re: Tomahawks and throwing knives

Postby JINGWEED » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:58 am

I always wanted a homemade hawk with a curly maple handle. Do you make these to sell? If so I am in. Let me know as long as the handle is exceptional. Yea, I love the bling. I think I was a crow in my former life. :mrgreen:
Last edited by JINGWEED on Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Virginian

Postby Virginian » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:13 am

JINGWEED wrote:I always wanted a homemade hawk with a curly maple handle. Do you make these to sell? If so I am in. Let me know as long as the handle is exceptional. Yea, I love the bling. I think I was a crown in my former life. :mrgreen:

Track of the Wolf carries kits that are a little pricy. Just scroll down to the bottom of the page. http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Category.aspx/436
Believe it or not Cabela's carries a couple: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... l+Products
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... l+Products

The maple handle I carve myself. It's drilled through the length and will go on that second pic ornate tomahawk. I read that these particular tomahawks were also a peace pipe (thus the hollow handle). Back in a day you either got one end or the other of this tomahawk. I've also seen many hawks and handles at guns shows.

A tomahawk (also referred to as a hawk) is a type of axe from North America, traditionally resembling a hatchet with a straight shaft. The name came into the English language in the 17th century as an adaptation of the Powhatan (Virginian Algonquian, where I Iive) word. I find arrow heads often when hunting.

Tomahawks were general purpose tools used by Native Americans and European colonials alike, and often employed as a hand-to-hand or a thrown weapon. The metal tomahawk heads were originally based on a Royal Navy boarding axe and used as a trade-item with Native Americans for food and other provisions. These sometimes had a pipe-bowl carved into the poll, and a hole drilled down the center of the shaft for smoking tobacco through the tomahawk.

Anywho... clearly I have cabin fever these days. We just got some more snow dumped on us today.

Eric
Show up
Do your best

JINGWEED

Postby JINGWEED » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:57 pm

HA, meant crow in my former life not crown.

RedMist
Expert
Expert

Postby RedMist » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:59 pm

For some time I've been wanting to get a couple inexpensive 'hawks and learning how to throw them.
" It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong. "

SShooterZ

Postby SShooterZ » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:06 pm

My shoulder is crap from an injury a long time ago so my throwing days are over. I fear I would look like Lamar from Revenge of the Nerds if I tried to throw one now. :lol:

RedMist
Expert
Expert

Postby RedMist » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:43 pm

Now I'm gonna have to try to find the time to watch that movie to get an idea of how SSZ throws....maybe I'll just have my 7 yr old girl throw one and go with that.

:mrgreen:
" It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong. "

SShooterZ

Postby SShooterZ » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:40 pm

Guaranteed she does better. No doubt in my mind. :oops:

RedMist
Expert
Expert

Postby RedMist » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:29 pm

Methinks you sell yourself short.

Virginian

Postby Virginian » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:46 pm

Having a big throw down at the lake Memorial Day weekend and hawk throwing will be on the agenda. Hopefully nobody walks or limps away cleaved... :ugeek:

Eric
Show up
Do your best

Return to “MISC: Rimfires, Handguns, Knives, Cooking”