CZ 455

Forum rules
Please review and follow the forum rules posted in the Welcome to the SCC section at the top of our forum.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

CZ 455

Postby Admin » Thu May 24, 2012 9:58 pm

Has anyone purchased one of the new cz 455 switch barrel rimfire's yet? If so how does it shoot?

Advertisement
Whidden Gunworks | Technology Applied To The Art Of Shooting
CRT
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

Re: CZ 455

Postby CRT » Fri May 25, 2012 12:21 pm

I have been hoping to hear some feedback on the new CZ 455 as well. I have had numerous 452's and everyone of them shot lights out.

RedMist
Expert
Expert

Postby RedMist » Fri May 25, 2012 3:02 pm

No 455's yet, still hung up on those awesome 452's !!
" It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong. "

TheBigGun
Global Moderator and Gold Site Supporter
Global Moderator and Gold Site Supporter

Postby TheBigGun » Fri May 25, 2012 6:31 pm

RedMist wrote:No 455's yet, still hung up on those awesome 452's !!

Same here would like to get a 22mag

RedMist
Expert
Expert

Postby RedMist » Fri May 25, 2012 8:17 pm

There's a CZ 452 with a Nikon 3x9 for sale right now on PM...right up your alley!
" It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong. "

22 BRuiser

Postby 22 BRuiser » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:22 pm

I have a 455 varmint in 17HMR waiting on the shelf of my local dealer all paid for and ready to go, the hold up is my Firearms licence which the police are still processing to include a 17HMR entry to legally enable me to collect my new rifle.
I have been waiting 6 weeks for the police to process my licence, you guys are very lucky you dont have licensing.
As soon as i get i intend to write a review.

Ian.

22 BRuiser

Postby 22 BRuiser » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:04 pm

Well i finally picked up my licence today and rushed over to the gunshop to get my hands on my .17HNR CZ455 Varmint, all looks good so i mounted my 4.5-14x 40 leupold tried my moderator and locked her up in the cabinet.
If the weather is good over the weekend i am going to take her out, get her zeroed and nail some rabbits, i have 4 brands of ammo to try.
I will be writing a full review within the next few weeks and maybe even a video review.

Ian.

PS. You guys in the US must keep up the fight to stop any introduction of licensing, overhere in the UK, licensing is administered by the police for the benefit of the police, they dont want us to have guns and its up to them what we can have and where we can use it.

CRT
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

Postby CRT » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:13 pm

Ian,

I look forward to reading your review on the new CZ 455. I have been thinking about purchasing one, however there aren't enough reviews out for me to want to take the plunge yet.

Brad

RedMist
Expert
Expert

Postby RedMist » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:36 pm

Congrats on your new purchase Ian ! Can't wait to see some rabbit pics.

England is a perfect example of what can happen to a great nation when gov't gets too big. We all need to stay alert and keep our rights where they belong, in OUR hands.

22 BRuiser

Postby 22 BRuiser » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:36 pm

Well, before taking the 455 out for its initial firing i thought i would give it a good going over to get to know it so i embarked on a full strip down.
Apart from wanting to see how the barrel is attached, there was an issue that had to be addressed that i thought i could sort out with the barrel out of the action.
This issue you might be asking? bolt operation.

If you are used to silky smooth bolt operation of a custom action than this will be a massive dissapointment.
The bolt drags on opening retraction and on closing, it is truely dreadful particularly on opening and cocking it feels like you are grinding stone between the bolt and the action.
On dissassembly of the bolt you could clearly see that this problem was due to a total lack of any polishing to any of the bearing surfaces and some very poor machine finish especially inside the bolt body and on the major diameter of the firing pin.

With the help of some dykem blue i identified the areas which were dragging and spent a few hours stoning and polishing the surfaces.
The inside of the bolt body was polished, the flat on the bottom of the firing pin was stoned, as was the top of the trigger protrusion that acts as the bolt stop.
I also stoned the cocking piece cam and the mating surface on the bolt handle, this together with the polishing of the firing body eliminated all of the felt drag but the bolt operation still felt a bit stiff which i think will becaome easier with use.

The whole of the rifles construction and appearance is dominated by a streamlining of the manufacturing process which can be seen on closer examination when compared to a CZ 452 which on the whole is a little superior.
The round action is no longer a forging akin to the 452 but is now billet machined and left in the machined state before bluing as is the .866" diametre parrallel barrel, while we are on the subject of bluing it does not seem as deep as the bluing on the 452.

At 20" and factory threaded 1/2" unf at the muzzle for a moderator, the thread and crown are of good quality, however the barrels diametre prevents the use of most of the over-barrel moderators on the market today.
Rifling looks clean and straight but does not exhibit the shine you get from a well finished honed bore.
The barrel is located into the front ring of the reciever by a flat on the underside of the tennon that also holds in place a seperate magazine plate incorporating a feed ramp.
The tennon of the barrel is held into the action by two grub screws located on the front sides of the action which are angled downwards and towards to the centreline of the action.
These screws act on two sloping diagonal cuts made on the barrel tenon above the chamber, which also align the barrel automatically, a clever design.

Constructed in one piece, the bolt is a machined casting with absolutely no de-burring carried out, in the slots for the dual extractors, the firing pin slot and the bolt scalloping, after a little de-burring the bolt body slides in the action quite smoothly without the tension of the firing pin assembly/spring.
The rear of the bolt mounted safety blocks forward movement of the firing pin but is again left in a machined state, it also benefitted from a bit of polishing to smooth out its operation and remove the pronounced audible "click" when released.

The action is held into the stock by two torx head bolts which screw directly into the action tang and just infront of the mag well, the seperate slotted toggle of the 452 being done away with.
However the inlet beneath the tang and front ring is machined flat so there is only a small amount of tangentially contact between this and the round action, a bit of bedding here may be of benefit.

The varmint style stock is basic but well made, straight amd with some figure, it carries very well executed and precise impressed checkering around the pistol grip and the bottom metal inlet is precise and well executed.
The trigger guard and auxillary plate are the usual steel pressing, aithough of thinner gauge and no longer blued, now having a balck phosphate finish.
The trigger/sear arrangement is the same as the 452, i fitted the heaviest trigger spring from a Yo-dave trigger kit to improve the trigger break to my liking, a bump test proving the trigger release safe.

My Leupold VariX III 4.5-14x40 AO was mounted to the reciever with 1" high Burris Signature Zee rings via J&P Custom products dovetail adaptors.
I took the rifle out yesterday afternoon for some initial zeroing and to take a few bunnies later.
To say i was pleased with the rifles performance would be an understatement, after initial sighting in @100yds i fired four 5 shot groups that fell to just under an inch using Hornadys 17grn V-Max round, i did not have time to test different brands of ammunition due to approaching darkness.
Later at around dusk i took 4 rabbits all headshot (for the pot) at ranges of 60 to 130yds.

All in all I am very happy with the rifle, its accuracy, handling, use and finish are all basic but good, it was only let down by the very poor bolt operation but after sorting this rough operation out, it has become a great little rifle perfect for rabbits and other small vermin i wish to shoot.

Ian.

Return to “MISC: Rimfires, Handguns, Knives, Cooking”