Sharpening

Forum rules
Please review and follow the forum rules posted in the Welcome to the SCC section at the top of our forum.
Ramos

Re: Sharpening

Postby Ramos » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:38 am

Will do. I should have it today via the brown truck that delivers smiles. I ordered it direct from Edgepro as they are about 47 miles down the road. Would like to have gone down there to see their operation in person but, just could not free up the time.

Advertisement
Whidden Gunworks | Technology Applied To The Art Of Shooting
Ramos

Postby Ramos » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:29 pm

Okay, guys. Sharpening kit was delivered today. Would like to offer some feedback tomorrow from a newbie perspective as far as how fast a guy can pick up the technique. If you do not hear from me, assume I slipped and lost the two fingers I type with!

larry

Postby larry » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:00 pm

That is cool! You will love it!

Find a piece of .25" glass, and get a bag of silicon carbide, there is videos online, on how to true your stones. This will help you make then last longer, and make much sharper edges. Thank me later.

Larry
I've got the itch...I just don't have the scratch!

If is supposed to have a sharp edge, and doesn't...get a hold of me.

Ramos

Postby Ramos » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:21 pm

Larry, I will thank you now, instead of waiting. I noticed that the SC sand is cheap @ $5.00 but the piece of glass that Edgepro sells with it is way overpriced. Do you know if the glass needs to be tempered?

As for using the sharpener, here is my brief report on first impressions. I did two knives last night, a very flexible fillet knife and a 30+ year old Buck hunting knife that is harder than the hubs of heck. I had watched the videos on line at Edgepros' site before ordering and had the instruction manual with me at the bench. Well made tool, good videos & manual. Very easy to use, quick, accurate, and effective. It did as good, and most likely better than I can do by hand. The big difference, for me, was the amount of time needed. The Buck knife would have taken me at least 30 minutes with intense concentration by hand. I spent EIGHT minutes with the Edgepro. Bet I can get it down to five minutes with practice. My kit came with their proprietary 220 and 400 grit stones. The 400 is equivalent to a Chosera 800 or Shapton 2000. They have stones and tapes to get as fine and polished as you want. For a working knife, I believe I have everything I need. Other than stones, the sharpener should last a lifetime.

larry

Postby larry » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:46 pm

I don't think it is tempered. You could probably just find a piece of .25" glass, and use that with good success.

Get yourself a 600, and 1000 stone. You will be amazed.

Larry

Ramos

Postby Ramos » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:47 pm

I bet you are right, and the price on their stones is pretty friendly. I did two more knives last night and was looking at the edge with an 8X lupe. Amazing how absolutely uniform the edge is, from one end to the other! It was expensive (for me) but I am very pleased with the purchase.

RedMist
Expert
Expert

Postby RedMist » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:14 pm

I'm glad you still have your two typing fingers ! :D You should stop by there sometime and see if they have any " scratch and dent" models for us poor IA folks.
" It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong. "

Ramos

Postby Ramos » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:11 pm

RedMist, I don't go that direction very often but will surely get there some day. I should check and see what they do with their demo units. Maybe offer them some kind of "End Of Show Season" group buy?

RedMist
Expert
Expert

Postby RedMist » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:48 pm

Now we're talking! Keep us posted. Larry will soon be too busy to do all of my knives, lol.
" It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong. "

larry

Postby larry » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:43 pm

RedMist wrote:Now we're talking! Keep us posted. Larry will soon be too busy to do all of my knives, lol.

I doubt that! Never too busy for a guy that likes to talk about all the stuff we chat about about!

Larry

Return to “MISC: Rimfires, Handguns, Knives, Cooking”