Sharpening

Forum rules
Please review and follow the forum rules posted in the Welcome to the SCC section at the top of our forum.
Ramos

Re: Sharpening

Postby Ramos » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:57 pm

So, last Saturday was the opener for Deer Rifle season. Let me tell you, if you have trouble making friends just set up for knife sharpening around a bunch of hunters!I got more practice than I was looking for, LOL. Everyone liked the results that the Edgepro was turning out. My nine year old son got his first buck, a dandy little Mule Deer. Shot once @ 100 yards and, once more @ 150 yards after tracking it through a corn field. Very proud dad here! He handled himself very well and showed great respect for the animal afterward.

Advertisement
Whidden Gunworks | Technology Applied To The Art Of Shooting
Sth Oz Dan

Postby Sth Oz Dan » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:15 pm

Congratulations to your boy Ramos, but the prize goes to RedMist's granddaughter, coz he showed us photos :lol:
JK mate - You must be very proud - 9yrs and he's shooting deer :shock:
I can almost see your grin from here

Ramos

Postby Ramos » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:54 pm

Thank you, Sir. Oregon has what they call the "Mentor Program". Youths 9-11 years can hunt with an adult and use that persons' tag as long as there is only one firearm between them. Each year that they register, they earn a preference point to be used when they turn twelve and begin hunting on their own tags. Hunter Safety certificate is not required, however, both my nine and eight year old boy's went through the class this Spring. Both of them started shooting a Mini Henry in 22LR when they were five. My deer hunter has also been shooting clay pigeons this summer w/ a youth 20 gauge. He has first blood on Doves and is excited about Pheasant opening up this Saturday.

Back on Topic: Edgepro rocks!!! Not kidding, either.

Waskawood

Postby Waskawood » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:26 pm

Sth Oz Dan wrote:Congratulations to your boy Ramos, but the prize goes to RedMist's granddaughter, coz he showed us photos :lol:

That is funny!!!! I knew he was an old crumugeon!!!! :P
Waska
My fishing spots are so secretive that even the fish can't find them.

Ramos

Postby Ramos » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:22 pm

Guys, I love seeing everyone's pictures. I don't post pictures for personal reasons. Happy to e-mail them to whoever asks, though. We would not have received the award anyway. I mean, what is cuter than a little girl helping on the trap-line! Sounds like she has a winning personality as well. RedMist, when she starts dating come on over. I will show you the place and give you a cold one to take your mind off of things!!!

RedMist
Expert
Expert

Postby RedMist » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:22 pm

I understand if you don't want your kids pics on the web, but post some deer pics if you can Ramos. Congrats to the lad!! And dont even talk about dating! (groan) :evil: Good thing I have years yet before I worry about that. I got lots of cornfield to bury unsuitables in....and a backhoe.
" It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong. "

Ramos

Postby Ramos » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:25 am

I will see what I can do. The skull is being boiled today. As for the dating, sounds like like you are all set. With the price of fertilizer going through the roof, you just might save yourself enough to buy a new rifle!

Troy G

Postby Troy G » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:06 pm

Larry,

What stones are you using for your Edge Pro?

larry

Postby larry » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:56 pm

i use their stones, 120, 220, 400, 600, and 1000, if needed, or sharpening hair shears, i then go to their sharpening tapes, 2000, 3000, and 6000.

if you have any questions about which ones to use for certain knives, shoot me a pm.

Larry
I've got the itch...I just don't have the scratch!

If is supposed to have a sharp edge, and doesn't...get a hold of me.

Troy G

Postby Troy G » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:25 pm

I have been using an Apex for quite some time and have always wanted to upgrade to the Pro for doing scissors and shears. Plus with the pro you can go to 6 degrees per side if your steel could handle that. Likely have to do a micro bevel.

Reason I asked about the stones is I was wondering if you have heard of or tried the Chosera or the Shapton Pro or Shapton Glass stones for the EP. If you like the factory stones you will love the Chosera and Shaptons,they have way more selection for grit sizes and cut faster. Taking a Japanese Kitchen knife in Aogami Super steel up to 10,000 grit is a thing of beauty.

Return to “MISC: Rimfires, Handguns, Knives, Cooking”