Sharpening

Forum rules
Please review and follow the forum rules posted in the Welcome to the SCC section at the top of our forum.
larry

Sharpening

Postby larry » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:47 pm

What do you guys do for sharpening your knives, and such?

I use an Edge Pro, professional model. I bought this because I like to have my stuff REALLY sharp! I was sharpening for a local hardware store, and was getting good results using a Lansky sharpener, but with any volume, it was way too slow.

With the amount of investment for this tool, I started sharpening as a side business...expanding to sharpening hair shears and cloth shears, as well.

This one is a custom knife sent to me to sharpen, made in Australia. One heavy bugger!

A customers Chicago Cutlery

Larry
I've got the itch...I just don't have the scratch!

If is supposed to have a sharp edge, and doesn't...get a hold of me.

Advertisement
Whidden Gunworks | Technology Applied To The Art Of Shooting
K22

Re: Sharpening

Postby K22 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:27 pm

I think I need one of those sharpeners Larry. 8-)

Man, I've used it all or close to it anyway. Normally I use either ceramic sticks or a sharpener made by Rada. Although I'm getting ready to send my Kershaw knife back to the company and let them sharpen it. I'm not getting any where with it.

What do you charge to sharpen knives Larry?

larry

Postby larry » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:34 pm

Depends on the knife...but usually about $4-5 minimum, around a buck an inch is what they come out to.

These sharpeners are really accurate, keeping the angles the same from front to back. They have a less expensive model as well, that is more portable, and lighter weight. They can be bought online at a number of places. The Pro model, are ordered only from the manufacturer.

I am not sure how I have gone so years without this sharpener!

Larry

K22

Postby K22 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:58 pm

That sounds pretty reasonable to me. I'm kind of at a cross roads with my sharpening equipment. I may bite the bullet and buy something like you have or start sending them off to someone like you.
I have 4 knives I use a lot for skinning. Don't ask me why 4 of them as one would do perfectly. :roll:
I have one custom that I love and of course I'm thinking of buying another. Then I have 2 Queen fixed blade knives. Love them. And a couple of early Gerber fixed blades. Then of course there is all of the others I have. :roll:

larry

Postby larry » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:22 pm

If you would like me to sharpen them...get a hold of me...If you are only going to sharpen a couple knives here and there, a Lansky, or something like it will do the job, but a bit of a juggling act.

There are a couple different sharpeners out there, but I think the Edge Pro is the safest, quickest, and provides great results.

What are you other guys doing to sharpen your stuff?

Larry

WYO

Postby WYO » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:09 pm

I use the Lansky as well. That is one nice rig you have, same concept as the Lansky?

larry

Postby larry » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:31 pm

WYO wrote:I use the Lansky as well. That is one nice rig you have, same concept as the Lansky?

Yes...similar in concept.

The bar on the stone holder is much heavier, and a lot longer, which helps with geometry, and accuracy.

There is videos on their website, http://www.edgeproinc.com that shows how it is used. The videos are all using the "Apex", but the operation is nearly the same.

The professional model does allow the sharpening of chisels, gauges, and scissors, and probably some more things...I can't think of...and also some more geometry in that I could sharpen down to about 6 degrees...think razor blade :mrgreen:

Larry

RedMist
Expert
Expert

Postby RedMist » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:05 pm

I have used the Dunn system for my skinning knives for years. It's 2 wheels on a buffer/grinder. One has fairly fine grit the other is cardboard or flannel and you put rouge on it for buffing. Works well, and is very quick too. Great for when you have a pile of coons to skin and momma has supper hot already.

Would like to have a fancy EdgePro someday, gotta quit buying varmint rifles, doh!!
" It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong. "

Ramos

Postby Ramos » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:39 pm

I just ordered an Edgepro Apex kit today. Never had a "system" before. I got to thinking about the deer we will most likely have by this Sunday and the three meat goats I need to process as soon as the cool weather arrives. And so it has began, my first mentored purchase in regards to this website! Guess if a guy is going to spend some money, it is best if it is for equipment that smart guys recommend. I only need to do knives, so I just could not talk myself in to the super nice Pro model.

RedMist
Expert
Expert

Postby RedMist » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:03 pm

Heh heh...way to let some of those moths out of your wallet, Ramos. :D Let us know how you like it.
" It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong. "

Return to “MISC: Rimfires, Handguns, Knives, Cooking”