Sharpening

Forum rules
Please review and follow the forum rules posted in the Welcome to the SCC section at the top of our forum.
larry

Re: Sharpening

Postby larry » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:27 am

i think the tapes get finer than the shapton...i have only done a couple of Japanese knives, and they were VERY sharp when finished. the 6000 grit tape is like 1 micron, it doesn't even feel as arough paper.i shaved a slice from a tomato that was transparent.

Larry
I've got the itch...I just don't have the scratch!

If is supposed to have a sharp edge, and doesn't...get a hold of me.

Advertisement
Whidden Gunworks | Technology Applied To The Art Of Shooting
Troy G

Postby Troy G » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:46 am

Shapton makes a 30000 grit stone for the EP but it is 250.00. Just thought I would let you know about them in case you did not know about them. I hate farking with the tapes.

larry

Postby larry » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:30 am

I have used a ton of tapes sharpening hair shears, but I can buy tons of tapes for what that stone costs, that would be about 6 years of sharpenings with tapes...all three of them!

Maybe some day...that stone is more than the diamond grinding wheels I use for sharpening carbde saw blades...actually equal to four of them at current pricing!

If you are doing a lot of sharpening on your apex, and want to do scissors, go for the pro. If you aren't doing it for hire, get it if you want, I wouldn't trade mine for anything. You can always get the pro, and get the scissor block later, it costs the same either way. You won't need to get the higher level ones, you already have all of the stones.

Larry

Troy G

Postby Troy G » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:54 am

Thought about going into the sharpening business but I see how people treat their knives. I would put a nice edge on it and in one cut they would have the edge folded over from cutting on glass or cutting into hard plastic or trying to cut frozen food or using a knife as a pry bar, I am sure you have seen it all. Then it would be my fault because the knife does not stay sharp forever. I have my kitchen knives and my wife has her kitchen knives. :mrgreen:

larry

Postby larry » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:03 pm

Troy G wrote:Thought about going into the sharpening business but I see how people treat their knives. I would put a nice edge on it and in one cut they would have the edge folded over from cutting on glass or cutting into hard plastic or trying to cut frozen food or using a knife as a pry bar, I am sure you have seen it all. Then it would be my fault because the knife does not stay sharp forever. I have my kitchen knives and my wife has her kitchen knives. :mrgreen:

LOL...us too! I tell guys not to cut rocks any more...they are just too hard!

I do a few gun shows, just the local one...it ispretty good money for a weekend's work and standing around shooting the breeze with like minded fellows.

last show I did, I got a knife from one of the dealers, for sharpening his collection...it was worth about a ninety bucks.

Larry

Return to “MISC: Rimfires, Handguns, Knives, Cooking”