ALL NEW Rimfire Cartridge

Forum rules
Please review and follow the forum rules posted in the Welcome to the SCC section at the top of our forum.
CRT
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

ALL NEW Rimfire Cartridge

Postby CRT » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:58 pm

I recently heard about a new rimfire that is going to be hitting the market shortly after the SHOT show this year. There has been alot of speculation on what caliber it is going to be. I hear that it is supposed to claim the title of Fastest Rimfire On The Market. Anyone else heard anything about it?

Found the following info on Rimfire Central:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=476211

Advertisement
Whidden Gunworks | Technology Applied To The Art Of Shooting
CRT
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

Re: ALL NEW Rimfire Cartridge

Postby CRT » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:35 am

I can't believe that none of the other members have heard about the new rimfire cartridge that is supposed to be coming out in early 2013. Come on guys. ;)

CRT
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

Postby CRT » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:49 am

MGP

Postby MGP » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:50 am

Rumor mill has been lit up about this for a few weeks, but I think it's hard for small cal centerfire guys that reload to get excited about a rimfire that will cost them more to shoot than what they can reload & shoot a small case 17, 20, or 22 for. You also have no control over the ammo consistency or bullet choice & will have limited & inferior rifle choices. Rimfire guys will probably pee their pants over this, but it just made me yawn. It's still a rimfire. I see an initial market flurry, as with any newly hyped product, then it will be limited to those that don't reload looking for a more economical way to get better performance for small game/varmint hunting over buying factory centerfire ammo. Think of all that wasted brass that could be used for our small cal cases!!!

Rick in Oregon
Small Caliber Expert
Small Caliber Expert

Postby Rick in Oregon » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:55 am

MGP - Could not agree more. Just think of all the guys with 5mm Remington rimfires in the safe with cobwebs in the bores. I can load my 17 Ackley Hornet or K-Hornet for about the going price for 17HMR ammo and have more range to boot.

I'm with you......yawn, time for a nap. ;)

larry

Postby larry » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:07 pm

I feel this way too...I have read a couple posts on other forums on this, and the speculation sure runs the full gammet. I wonder if it will be 18 or 19 caliber, myself...but sure can't see why all the hooplah. I have a mink, and ackley hornet...they will both do double duty, as a reloadable rimfire, and high speed centerfire.

look....it's 0'nap-thirty!

Larry
I've got the itch...I just don't have the scratch!

If is supposed to have a sharp edge, and doesn't...get a hold of me.

MGP

Postby MGP » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:42 am

There is some info on the web about it. It's going to be called the 17 Winchester Super Mag (17WSM). Ammo is being advertised @ several on line stores.

RedMist
Expert
Expert

Postby RedMist » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:33 pm

I want to be the first one EVER to ask the question mankind has been wanting to know since before the wheel was invented...

Will the 17WSM kill coyotes? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

( question intentionally left vague regarding range and shot placement to promote endless discussion on web-boards world-wide)
" It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong. "

MGP

Postby MGP » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:26 pm

RedMist: I want to be the first one EVER to say it depends on shot placement & range!!! I could elaborate for hours, but I'll save you the suffering.

CRT
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

Postby CRT » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:39 pm

I found some more info on the new Winchester 17 caliber rimfire. Looks like its going to be pretty impressive for a rimfire.
http://www.petersenshunting.com/2013/01 ... er-magnum/

Return to “MISC: Rimfires, Handguns, Knives, Cooking”