ALL NEW Rimfire Cartridge

Forum rules
Please review and follow the forum rules posted in the Welcome to the SCC section at the top of our forum.
Rick in Oregon
Small Caliber Expert
Small Caliber Expert

Re: ALL NEW Rimfire Cartridge

Postby Rick in Oregon » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:53 am

Here you go.....

http://www.petersenshunting.com/2013/01 ... er-magnum/

I just wonder what a box of 50 will cost compared to what I/we can load our 17 Ackley Hornets for........

Advertisement
Whidden Gunworks | Technology Applied To The Art Of Shooting
RedMist
Expert
Expert

Postby RedMist » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:35 pm

Probably not the most cost effective compared to hand loading, but I think it's neat regardless. The average Joe doesn't have the time/expertise to hand-load and just shoots boxed ammo. More cartridges will hopefully attract more shooters and more shooters is what we need to combat the idiocy of the gun grabbing elites from the left.

I will say after shooting my Mach2 a bunch at PD's one day, there is something to be said for pulling the trigger and knowing you don't have to reload that round, lol.
" It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong. "

Rick in Oregon
Small Caliber Expert
Small Caliber Expert

Postby Rick in Oregon » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:00 pm

RedMist wrote:I will say after shooting my Mach2 a bunch at PD's one day, there is something to be said for pulling the trigger and knowing you don't have to reload that round, lol.

RedMist, gotta agree with ya there buddy. When there's alot of rat action inside of the 150 - 200 yard marker, I'm all for grabbing my Ruger/Lilja 17HMR and having my way with the rats, and know full well there's NO reloading involved later.

On one particular good day in the rat patch, I was shooting my Cooper 223 at extended range, but noticed behind me at a fenceline about 200 yds away, rats were running about everywhere, and easy to see when they hit the dirt two-track.....perfect 17HMR fodder. I put my Cooper down, set up the little Ruger on my bench, and had great fun with Skippy and his pals (only a small portion of the actual HMR carnage):

Couldn't resist grabbing my camera part way through the action to remind myself later how much fun I had, and how much I DIDN'T miss all the reloading fun at home later:

I love handloading, precision extended range rat shooting, but for work inside 150 - 200 yards, a flat shootin' rimfire still works for me too, and you're right, if it brings more into our fold, so much the better (17WSM). I'm thinking that the new 17HH will also do the same, but for handloading. Once the new rimfire shooters find out they "need" another 100 yards to boink a hog or rat, the small reloadable CF's start to look good and they take the next logical step.....good for them, good for the rest of us too.

One thing I'll mention, is that I hope Winchester offers this round in something more affordable than their excellent little Low Wall. I've got one in K-Hornet that I paid upwards of seven bills for, back in the early 90's. Can't imagine what they go for now. Maybe they'll bring out a nice new little bolt gun for the new round? Hey, we can hope, right? :mrgreen:

CRT
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

Postby CRT » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:13 pm

Left: 17 HMR
Middle: New Winchester 17 WSM
Right: 22 WMR

Virginian
Global Moderator and Gold Site Supporter

Postby Virginian » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:45 pm

Dang Rick!!!! I hope to make it out west for shoot like that. I can't even imagine a target rich environment like that pic shows. I sometimes wait all day to get one shot at groundhog. :mrgreen: But! It's always worth when I do!

Eric
17HMR
Show up
Do your best
Don't grumble about the outcome

RedMist
Expert
Expert

Postby RedMist » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:36 am

WOW! That IS some carnage! Those sage rats get thick out there, can't wit to get to OR and try them out. All that green looks good right now.
" It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong. "

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:16 pm

Eric

That sure is one pretty stock on your CZ rifle.

Virginian

Postby Virginian » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:37 pm

Thor's Hammer wrote:Eric

That sure is one pretty stock on your CZ rifle.

Thanks! Here in certain counties in VA you can only use rimfire for anything, includes coyotes and fox. As gun happy state as VA is, it's silly that some of these laws are from the dark ages.

Eric
Show up
Do your best

Joe O

Postby Joe O » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:51 am

I know this is an old thread. Shows how long it's been since I participated. I'll try to be around more. As for a better rimfire, I went though that on my first Prarie Dog shoot in 2010.Had a Ruger 17HMR that never came out of the case, because of wind and distance.Buddy had some shooting in the rain while I stayed in the truck.Most of his targets were 100yds or less. Wound up giving the gun to my grandson. He's happy, I'm happy. I enjoy loading, and as Rick pointed out the small CF wildcats will outperform any of the rim fires, They are fine for someone that doesn't reload or hasn't started to get really involver with Varmint shooting at longer ranges. Also those locations that restrict shooting with rimfire only. I'm more than happy with my 20AB, 32gr @ 3600fps, and the barrel never gets above warm.: :D :
Ciao Joe O

Virginian

Postby Virginian » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:34 pm

Thanks for the update Joe. I'm sure your grandson will cherish that rifle the rest of his life. That said, I think most of us cut our teeth on a rimfire. Love them myself! ;)

Eric
Show up
Do your best

Return to “MISC: Rimfires, Handguns, Knives, Cooking”