Oven cooking technique

Forum rules
Please review and follow the forum rules posted in the Welcome to the SCC section at the top of our forum.
RedMist
Expert
Expert

Oven cooking technique

Postby RedMist » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:05 am

Got this recipe from my mom, she uses it to make fantastic prime rib. Got to thinking why couldn't I do some venison that way?? It's very simple, but very good. I didn't cut the time enough and it got a little overdone. I have adjusted the times here. Also didn't think to take pics until it was done.

Wrapped venison in bacon, it's too dry by itself for this method. Before wrapping, completely cover with a rub of Kosher salt and Jane's Mixed up Pepper, don't be stingy. Then wrap in bacon and coat again. Put in oven at 375 for 40mins. Shut oven off and DON"T open the door. Let sit for 2-3 hours. Then fire back up to 375 for 20 mins. The rub mixes with the fat in the 2 cooking sessions and it's amazing. The wife said my deer was as good as the prime rib.

Should be a little pink in the middle. I got it a tad over done, but with this method it still was moist.

Homemade sweet potato fries, from the garden, deer loin and some pickled beets. Git your grub on!!

The juice in the bottom of the pan gets thick. Don't throw it out. Scrape it up and reconstitute by adding some water and refrigerate. Then use it to marinate the next batch. Some of the best marinade available!! Could probably make gravy with it too, but that's beyond my culinary abilities.
" It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong. "

Advertisement
Whidden Gunworks | Technology Applied To The Art Of Shooting
Waskawood

Re: Oven cooking technique

Postby Waskawood » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:35 am

Looks like mighty fine eating there Misty. I have two loaves of sour dough bread ready for rising. Won't be as tasty as your venison but they sure would go well together.
Waska
My fishing spots are so secretive that even the fish can't find them.

Ramos

Postby Ramos » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:25 am

Oh, man! That looks sooooooooooo good!!! Love the marinade idea and, as far as I am concerned, good sourdough bread goes with [b]everything[b]!

Sth Oz Dan

Postby Sth Oz Dan » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:01 pm

I'm just about to eat breakfast. Bacon and eggs was on the cards, but man that looks awesome. Just wish I had some deer thawed out ready to go.

The gravy's easy peasy. Do what you said (reconstitute) but not too much water (or red wine's good too-helps lift the sticky bits) then boil hard until you get the right consistency. Then pour it all over your sourdough :D

RedMist
Expert
Expert

Postby RedMist » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:49 pm

The wife is good with gravy, I'll have to watch her next time. Can't beat good gravy on mash taters!! Put some homemade strawberry jam on that sourdough for dessert!
" It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong. "

RedMist
Expert
Expert

Postby RedMist » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:06 pm

Made another one today, this is how it looks precooked. Did a roast and some smaller chunks wrapped up together. We'll see how it turns out.

The only two ingredients.

RedMist
Expert
Expert

Postby RedMist » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:30 pm

Used some of the stock from this recipe yesterday. Made some French Onion soup.

After caramelizing for 45 mins....

The stock gave it awesome depth of flavor.

Working on my presentation, didn't have Swiss handy so used Mozzarella and Parmesan. Boy howdy!!! Image

Ramos

Postby Ramos » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:44 pm

That looks delicious every time we see it! Thanks for the reminder, will give it a go this weekend.

Just finished my smoker project. Test burn tonight!

RedMist
Expert
Expert

Postby RedMist » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:51 pm

Let us know how the smoker turns out. I bet you could eat possum if you got it smoked right. :D

Ramos

Postby Ramos » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:04 pm

I think the smoker will be fine. I was able to hold any temperature I wanted from 110-200*. Ambient temp was about 45*. My best guess, after last night, is that I can bank enough coals to maintain temp for 5-6 hours without opening fire box to add charcoal.

Back on topic: Will attempt your' recipe tomorrow evening!

Return to “MISC: Rimfires, Handguns, Knives, Cooking”