Venison sausage?

Forum rules
Please review and follow the forum rules posted in the Welcome to the SCC section at the top of our forum.
Sth Oz Dan

Venison sausage?

Postby Sth Oz Dan » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:54 am

If anyone has a good recipe for venison sausages, throw it up here.
I've got a big bag of trimmings and looking for ideas. I'm thinking garlic and rosemary might work.

Also - any other ideas for what to do with the off cuts - salami etc?

larry

Re: Venison sausage?

Postby larry » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:29 am

I use a lot of High Mountain Cures, makes great sausage. They have a few selections to choose from. I also use A.C. Leggs seasonings. I get them through the local Hobart Distributor. They have tons of seasonings fro just about anything you can think of, and some stuff, I will guarantee you haven't.

The ring bologna seasoning is great, I usually add fresh red pepper, and smoke them.

Shoot me your email, I have another recipe that I got from a Field and Stream magazine, that is one of my favorites. Maybe I will try to post it here, given time...it will knock your socks off, and make your tongue reach up and slap your brain!

Have any of you ever gotten the book, "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing" by Rytek Kutas? I got it from sausagemaker.com...very good book, with lots of insight to making sausage, and other types of meat prep, curing, cooking, and storage.

Larry
Last edited by larry on Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've got the itch...I just don't have the scratch!

If is supposed to have a sharp edge, and doesn't...get a hold of me.

larry

Postby larry » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:02 am

Okay...it was taken from Feb, '04 Field and stream magazine. I'm sorry, I didn't write down the author's name. They deserve Kudos for the article. It was titled "The Perfect Venison Sausage"...and it is.

The ingredients:

2# lean deer meat, crappy cut, like shoulder, or leg muscle
1#Pork loin, or shoulder
1# pork back fat, or jowl
3Tbs kosher salt(I use more)
1Tbs plus 1tsp black pepper
1tsp powdered garlic
1tsp powdered onion
3tsp ground ginger, or 1.5 tsp fresh ginger
1/2tsp ground juniper berries
1c egg whites
1tsp arrowroot, or corn starch

I don't see white pepper in the list, I have, but think that there was some in there, maybe 1tsp? (you could add it later when you check)

Course chop venison, then pork and pork fat keeping them separate
combine pork fat, and pork with 1Tbs salt, (i use 2) Grind to 3/8", and set aside

Mix venison with 2Tsp salt, pepper, garlic, ginger, and juniper berries, grind 2/3 of this mixture to 3/8"

Mix remaining 1/3 venison, and half pork mixture, with the egg whites, and corn starch or arrowroot, in a food processor to a thick paste.

mix with other meat, you can fry a small medallion to check taste, and adjust if needed.

The article also said you could add chopped craisins, or fresh sage, or tyme to sausage as well...I would think that 1.5Tbs, of either, would be just about right.

Stuff in fresh hog casings, twist off at 6" puncture casings 5-6 times.

This is a fresh sausage with eggs in it, so you either need to poach these in boiling water until they reach an internal temp of 150 F, or grill within about 15 minutes of stuffing. Once they have been poached, they can be frozen successfully. I use a food saver to protect them. I usually add some cherry wood to fire, if I have any, pecan would also work good, something that isn't to stong, or it will over power the wonderful flavor of the sausage. Grape leaves, or cherry leaves would work well too, just not too many of them.

I'm going to have to go the library and get another copy of this article, as the recipe was written down by myself, and the copy I had taped in my book is gone.

Larry

larry

Postby larry » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:05 am

larry wrote:I use a lot of High Mountain Cures, makes great sausage. They have a few selections to choose from. I also use A.C. Leggs seasonings. I get them through the local Hobart Distributor. They have tons of seasonings fro just about anything you can think of, and some stuff, I will guarantee you haven't.

The ring bologna seasoning is great, I usually add fresh red pepper, and smoke them.

Shoot me your email, I have another recipe that I got from a Field and Stream magazine, that is one of my favorites. Maybe I will try to post it here, given time...it will knock your socks off, and make your tongue reach up and slap your brain!

Have any of you ever gotten the book, "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing" by Rytek Kutas? I got it from sausagemaker.com...very good book, with lots of insight to making sausage, and other types of meat prep, curing, cooking, and storage.

Larry

When I said "fresh ground red pepper" I meant dried ground red pepper, that is fresh. Love that stuff!

Sth Oz Dan

Postby Sth Oz Dan » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:06 pm

larry wrote:When I said "fresh ground red pepper" I meant dried ground red pepper, that is fresh. Love that stuff!

Would this be paprika? Or chilli powder?
I've never seen any High Mountain cures here, or A.C. Leggs. I'd be looking more at back to basics ingredients - ie which herb/spice/fruit combinations work well.

I did a few roo sausages a while back and found that plum and coriander(cilantro) go well with the roo. Also sundried tomato, capers, and lots of black pepper.
These would probably overpower the venison though.

I've found that the cuts of deer with a little more fat tend to taste similar to lamb. This is why I was considering rosemary and garlic (and salt). Works VERY well on a lamb roast.

Thanks for the input Larry. Keep the inspiration coming

larry

Postby larry » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:40 pm

I use the red pepper like what you would get when you go out for pizza. It is red pepper flakes. I usually use the ones i get from the pizza place a block away...i have never found any more fresh than theirs. That type of pepper has great flavor, and not really too hot. I check for the right amount, by making a meat smear in my hand. Probably about a teaspoon of meat, should have three flakes in it, when you smear it across your hand....two, okay, three is best, and four...may be too hot....well, not TOO hot :)

Larry

Ramos

Postby Ramos » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:34 pm

The suggestion to pan fry a small dab to check flavor is fantastic. A piece of common sense that had never occurred to me! For the investment in time, it sure is disappointing to turn out a mediocre batch :) .

larry

Postby larry » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:48 pm

Ramos wrote:The suggestion to pan fry a small dab to check flavor is fantastic. A piece of common sense that had never occurred to me! For the investment in time, it sure is disappointing to turn out a mediocre batch :) .

Amen Brother! The hard part is though, there are so many steps along the way, that can make or break sausage. I have a big smoker, medium, and small...none of them work the same each time I use them, and I think that also helps, or hurts, depending on the day. I need to go get an education in engineering...then maybe I could fix everything.

Larry

Ramos

Postby Ramos » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:57 pm

I would guess I have been smoking food for over 30 years. Anything from jerky (out of anything) to birds, fish, oysters, cheese, hard boiled eggs........ and would have to say I still don't have sausage and/or pepperoni figured out.

Right now I am about half way through converting a huge, old upright freezer in to a smoker. I'm sure that will take some experimenting to get it dialed in!

Sth Oz Dan

Postby Sth Oz Dan » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:49 am

Ramos wrote:Right now I am about half way through converting a huge, old upright freezer in to a smoker. I'm sure that will take some experimenting to get it dialed in!

I've seen this done and it worked very well. The door was taken off, and a hessian sack hung over that space. A big hole cut in either the bottom, or low on one side (can't remember), and some pipework attached to a cut off section of 44 gallon drum in such a way that the drum sat over a smouldering fire about a metre or 2 away from the fridge so as to catch the smoke and direct it to the fridge. It had time(distance) to cool down in the pipe so it didn't cook the meat, just cold smoked.
Good luck if this is similar to the way you're going. You won't be disappointed.

Return to “MISC: Rimfires, Handguns, Knives, Cooking”