Folding Guthook?

Forum rules
Please review and follow the forum rules posted in the Welcome to the SCC section at the top of our forum.
Sth Oz Dan

Folding Guthook?

Postby Sth Oz Dan » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:34 am

I'm after some opinions here please.
I would really like a blade with a nice round tip for skinning, and a guthook on the top edge. But I don't really want to carry it in a pouch/bolster. I'd like a folding blade so I can put it in my pocket. These seem pretty rare from what I've seen so far.

http://www.sargeknives.com/store/FOLDING-GUT-HOOK.html
-About the only one I've found so far, but not sure whether to believe it's 440C Stainless considering the other writing on the blade ;)

So does anybody know of one that would fit the bill?
Or a custom folding blade maker I could email?

Thanks in advance

larry

Re: Folding Guthook?

Postby larry » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:19 pm

I hadn't thought of a gut-hook folder, until you posted this question. Buck doesn't make a bad knife, IMO, they have the "Alpha" series, that has a couple folders in it, with the gut hook. I saw a guy carry one out of Scheels yesterday.

I am sure there are others out there too...

Larry
I've got the itch...I just don't have the scratch!

If is supposed to have a sharp edge, and doesn't...get a hold of me.

larry

Postby larry » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:25 pm

I hadn't thought of a gut-hook folder, until you posted this question. Buck doesn't make a bad knife, IMO, they have the "Alpha" series, that has a couple folders in it, with the gut hook. I saw a guy carry one out of Scheels yesterday.
http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=product.detail&productid=3087

I am sure there are others out there too...

Larry
I've got the itch...I just don't have the scratch!

If is supposed to have a sharp edge, and doesn't...get a hold of me.

Sth Oz Dan

Postby Sth Oz Dan » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:38 am

Thanks Larry.
I ended up spending hours surfing numerous knife seller's sites and eventually found a couple.
I was after one for the odd occassion where I may need to drop the gut from an animal to make it easy to carry out, and the folding blade just makes it easy to slip in my pocket - no bits hanging off my pants, just me and my .204 in my hands.
Anyway, I found a couple of cheapo 3-blade folders - saw (to get through brisket), guthook (separate skin down the belly/chest line), and small blade that would perform many tasks (bleeding, skinning, boning etc).
For the small price I paid for 2 different versions, I can see how this style performs in the field, then make the move to a high quality piece of art later.
May be a while before I can find out how they perform, but I'll try to remember to post the results

Crazyhorse

Postby Crazyhorse » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:00 am

I have something very similar to what youre describing. I believe it was out of Browning's line up. 3 blade folder of saw, knife, and hook.
Matt

Sth Oz Dan

Postby Sth Oz Dan » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:16 am

Crazyhorse wrote:I have something very similar to what youre describing. I believe it was out of Browning's line up. 3 blade folder of saw, knife, and hook.
Matt

And have you found it to be effective?
One of the knifes I ordered was Winchester labelled, but made by someone else. The other - Elk Ridge.
I don't expect much out of them for the very cheap price, but they should give me an idea as to what direction to take if I order a custom blade

Return to “MISC: Rimfires, Handguns, Knives, Cooking”