Dinner Tonight

Forum rules
Please review and follow the forum rules posted in the Welcome to the SCC section at the top of our forum.
Ramos

Dinner Tonight

Postby Ramos » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:12 pm

Since my boy connected with his first deer last Saturday, we will be celebrating with pan fried back strap this Saturday night. Think I will keep it simple since it is the Cadillac of cuts. Cast Iron pan, olive oil, sea salt & fresh ground black pepper. Top with pan fried garden onions and garlic.

There is, however, time to adjust if anyone has suggestions!

Do I hear "Pepper Bacon Grease" instead of olive oil from anyone?

Waskawood

Re: Dinner Tonight

Postby Waskawood » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:53 pm

Ramos,

I really like the way you think and cook. Keep it simple. I like game for its natural flavor. So many people try and mask it with soups, spices, or what have you. I think you are on the right path. Am I invited? :oops: enjoy.
Waska
My fishing spots are so secretive that even the fish can't find them.

Sth Oz Dan

Postby Sth Oz Dan » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:47 pm

The peppered bacon grease may just keep it moist. You know how easily a lean cut can dry if overcooked. :)
I often drizzle a little red wine on one side of a steak, and crack some pepper on this, and sometimes a tiny sprinkle of paprika. Let it sit for an hour or 2, then flip and repeat. A sprinkle of salt just before it hits the pan (too early on the salt will toughen the meat).
Then while the steak is relaxing, tip the marinade (and the juices as they relax out) back in the empty pan to lift the bits that stuck. Reduce this and add a little to the top of your steak (can be very strong, so you only need a little).
It's got my mouth watering. I feel the need to cull.

Ramos

Postby Ramos » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:06 pm

Good point on the bacon grease. And, yes, you are both invited. Plan on eating about 6:30. May want to start heading this way!

Waskawood

Postby Waskawood » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:45 pm

How far from Clarkston?
Waska

Ramos

Postby Ramos » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:36 pm

Clarkston, WA? We are due East from there, 245 miles. Turn Left and go 3 1/2 miles South of the Columbia River. Pink house on the Left! I think some slick salesman came through the county in 1951 selling aluminum siding. Evidently, all the men were in the field and the women picked pink. I can't imagine how bright that siding would have been 61 years ago. I know for sure that there are at least three houses in Sherman County still wearing this siding.

larry

Postby larry » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:23 pm

If you are pan frying it...butter, garlic, salt, and pepper are all you need. It must be cooked in Ann iron skillet though.

Larry
I've got the itch...I just don't have the scratch!

If is supposed to have a sharp edge, and doesn't...get a hold of me.

Sth Oz Dan

Postby Sth Oz Dan » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:02 pm

Was the steak a success? I was gonna turn up for the feast, but couldn't stand the thought of the pink house :lol:
I hope the young fella enjoyed it.
There are too many people today who cringe at the thought of eating an animal (not just vegetarians), because they're so used to eating steak, or burgers, or chicken strips. And they're not animals if the come from the shop ;)
Good to see kids making the connection early, and being part of the whole process. When you have a whole animal to deal with, you learn to appreciate those prime cuts much more, and find many many different ways to deal with the other cuts - curry, casserole, slow cooked venison shank in homebrew ale :) - ooops, think I just dobbed myself in for a recipe post

Waskawood

Postby Waskawood » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:34 pm

I was 245 miles east of Clarkson but couldn't find you. Did you mean west???
Waska

Ramos

Postby Ramos » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:38 pm

Waskawood, that really sucks! You had to be almost on our doorstep. Surprised that your nose did not lead you to our kitchen. Dinner was loved by all who made it. Boned venison steaks in pepper bacon grease with fresh crushed garlic, salt & pepper. Moist, tender and delicious! Served with sweet potato fries and green salad. Very simple, thanks for all the suggestions!

As a side note to the comment above: Our family is truly blessed from the standpoint of kids seeing how the food chain truly works. From the time they were old enough to walk, they have witnessed the process from birth to weaning to slaughter to freezer to table. Along the way, they have witnessed triumphs and tragedies in animal husbandry. The boys are now eight and nine and are learning the lessons that can only be learned in the field. The venison in our freezer is from my oldest son's first deer. He only hunted one day but, what a day it was. First off, he learned the penalty for rushing off a shot. First shot was a clean miss, followed by 1/2 hour of careful tracking to make sure it was not injured. Second shot (different buck) was a solid hit to the neck as that was all we had in the clear. Buck went down hard but got up and took off. Now my son got to follow a blood trail. Talk about a corn maze! Lost the trail in some open fields. Sighted the buck in a different corn field but, could not get up on him. We decided to back off. So now my son get's to wonder if he is going to lose a wounded animal. We changed some irrigation water and ate breakfast before returning to the field. We found him and my son took him through the heart with a head-on shot. I am not much of a story teller but, you can see he had the opportunity to learn a lot. Would have been nice to have been in the mountains on a "real" deer hunt but, this was a great experience for him. Pretty darn special for me, as well.

Return to “MISC: Rimfires, Handguns, Knives, Cooking”