Drive by shooting with a 17HMR

Forum rules
Please review and follow the forum rules posted in the Welcome to the SCC section at the top of our forum.
SShooterZ

Drive by shooting with a 17HMR

Postby SShooterZ » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:47 pm

Recent trip in SD we were hunting some private land and the owner suggested we have a rifle ready for the ride out to the field as there were a lot of dogs along the road. So we loaded up my Ruger 77/17 and CZ 453 and away we went. Had an absolute blast shooting dogs from 25-150 yards. Really puts the WHOMP on them too. What a fun way to spend some time shooting rim fires at PDs. And being for the Chicago area, we couldn't help but call them "drive-bys". :D

Ramos

Re: Drive by shooting with a 17HMR

Postby Ramos » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:09 am

Did you have to listen to rap music and hold your firearms on their sides?

http://www.dog-gone-good.com/ . This guy is a retired Oregon State Trooper and makes great shooting bags. He also makes them to rest on your side-view mirrors and door windows. Great guy and really high quality bags.

SShooterZ

Postby SShooterZ » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:00 pm

It's funny, we actually made a comment to that fact. :lol:

I'll post some pics when I get home because I can't get to Photobucket from work.

22 BRuiser

Postby 22 BRuiser » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:17 am

We shoot 90% of all our rabbits from a 4x4 mostly at night with a lamp.
I drive around the edges of the fields and operate the lamp scanning for the tell tail red glow of the rabbits eyes and my buddy then shoots them with his moderated 17HMR, we alternate the driving/shooting, this weekend i will be shooting :D
We go for head shots as we sell the rabbits to a game dealer, they wont take any which have body hits, these we keep for ourselves, at the equivalent of $3 each, 15 rabbits in a nights shooting covers our ammo and petrol costs as well as being very enjoyable.
The other 10% are shot for fun at long range with our centrefires.

Ian.

Return to “MISC: Rimfires, Handguns, Knives, Cooking”