Mach2 Long range PD !

Forum rules
Please review and follow the forum rules posted in the Welcome to the SCC section at the top of our forum.
RedMist
Expert
Expert

Mach2 Long range PD !

Postby RedMist » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:13 am

Back from my Whackapolooza tour, took some time out from the centerfires to try my CZ on the wide open prairie. Love shooting this Mach2, it's a bughole gun. Loading the 5-shot magazine with these little shells, while searching the never ending grassland for varmints, I felt a little inadequate ...now I think I have a inkling what TBG feels prior to the mating ritual, but I digress... It's a big place for a small rimfire, but you know what, it can be done!!

I mounted a Weaver GS 6-20 on it the day before I left. Makes a world of difference. I started letting fly at a few brave dogs just under 100 yds. Connected with a few. Head shots are needed to keep them from making it back to the hole it seems. Also tried a new light weight bench, I'll post about that in another section, but that's what is on this pic in case anyone's curious.

One windless morning I grabbed the CZ and started out on the closer dogs. You can get a lot of shooting in with a rimfire..they tolerate the noise much better than the bigger cartridges. Got this one at 183yds ! Kept spinning the scope knob until it stopped and fired for affect. Before anyone throws the BS flag, these are NOT one shot kills...I shot a lot of rounds per dog. At these ranges even in perfect conditions, ammunition tolerances can be the difference between a hit or a miss , even with a perfect hold.

This is how I found him. I was stoked!
Dragged him out of the hole for a different angle.
" It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong. "

Advertisement
Whidden Gunworks | Technology Applied To The Art Of Shooting
RedMist
Expert
Expert

Re: Mach2 Long range PD !

Postby RedMist » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:26 am

Proud as a peacock by now, let me assure you, I shot most of the day with my 17VHA, 20 Tac, 5/35 and had a great time. No wind to speak of..after about 1700 it died completely and I got the CZ out again. As more PD's appeared for the afternoon feed, I lobbed more Eley at them. Spun the elevation knob to the stops, worked out to over 200yds and had quite a bit of hold-over to boot. Shot almost 100 rds in a short period of time. While I was shooting long distance, a few came up closer and I would make the time to whack them before returning to artillery ranges. The reduced report, again, really makes for more shooting, as the dogs don't get near as spooked. Wish moderators were legal in my state!!

My rangefinder won't work on grass at these distances, so I would mark the dog, walk out to it and then range the truck.( need to save for a Leica). Again these are not one-shot kills. Numerous shots were taken at these long distance dogs. Amazingly enough, once I got the range figured, anything under 150yds was above 50% for kill ratio. This gun shoots!
ImageImage
One place I used the bipod on the CZ, the " grassy knoll" I called it. I would sneak up one side and have close shooting once I got to the top.
" It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong. "

Virginian
Global Moderator and Gold Site Supporter
Global Moderator and Gold Site Supporter

Re: Mach2 Long range PD !

Postby Virginian » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:09 am

That is pure awesome! I'm really bummed that Eley quit making the 17m2 ammo. :( Great pictures and looks like it was a lot of fun.

Eric
Show up
Do your best
Don't grumble about the outcome

Return to “MISC: Rimfires, Handguns, Knives, Cooking”