Jerky

Forum rules
Please review and follow the forum rules posted in the Welcome to the SCC section at the top of our forum.
larry

Jerky

Postby larry » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:13 am

Who's got the best recipe?

I like a traditional jerky, and truthfully, I use High Mountain Cures for making deer jerky. I dry them in the dehydrator, and move them to my smoker when dried, for about 15 minutes of heavy smudge, for a real smokey flavor.

I have found that HMC, has excellent flavor, and if you follow the instructions, your results are repeatable, and people ask for jerky repeatedly. I just hate the attention :roll:

I sure don't mind experimenting...lets hear some recipes.

Larry
I've got the itch...I just don't have the scratch!

If is supposed to have a sharp edge, and doesn't...get a hold of me.

Ramos

Re: Jerky

Postby Ramos » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:07 pm

In a Pyrex casserole dish: Pickeling salt and brown sugar. Then a layer of meat, pepper sprinkled on. Pickeling salt and brown sugar. Then a layer of meat w/ pepper. Pickeling salt and brown sugar. Keep going until dish is half full and refridgerate over night. The dry salt will pull enough moisture out of the meat to create a liquid brine, if you fill the dish with meat and dry goods, it will overflow before sunrise! Remove meat from brine and place on racks to dry and warm up to room temp. Smoke and/or dehydrate as you like. The sugar to salt ratio is variable, we like more salt for red meat and more sugar for fish. We will add crushed garlic, herbs and so forth if we have fresh stuff on hand. I like it because it is quick, easy, cheap, and we almost always have what we need in the pantry!

Return to “MISC: Rimfires, Handguns, Knives, Cooking”