Varmint Revolvers

Forum rules
Please review and follow the forum rules posted in the Welcome to the SCC section at the top of our forum.
Crazyhorse

Varmint Revolvers

Postby Crazyhorse » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:16 am

I personally have alot of fun shooting the small caliber handguns and some of the bigger cal. ones even if I can't hit the broad side of a barn standing inside :D

One of my prized pieces is a Taurus Raging Hornet. This is a double action revolver with a 8 shot cylinder. It has a double lockup setup like thier Raging Bull series in 454 cassul and believe it is the same frame. Very fun to shoot and economical to reload for. So far have only had one instance where cases came back and wouldnt let the cylinder advance to the next round.

A possible project I am considering in the future is conversion of an Anschutz Exemplar from 22 hornet to 17AH. If anyone knows of a reasonably priced donor let me know!

So what do the rest of y'all shoot?
Matt

Hotshot

Re: Varmint Revolvers

Postby Hotshot » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:59 am

Not a revolver but my son-in-law and I built what we call the 1/4 mile handgun. Installed a take off barrel in 204R on a Savage Striker with a 4-12X Bushnell scope. With a Harris bipod on the forearm and a flat sandbag under the butt stock this rig is shooting 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards with 32gr SBK's. Further developement should take us out to over 400 yards with prairie dog accuracy. Recoil is mild but there is some muzzle jump to deal with.

larry

Postby larry » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:45 pm

I used to have a Taurus in 17HMR. I wanted to put a scope on it in the worst way, but couldn't find a mount to save my hide. So...I sold it...right before I found that mount!

I wouldn't mind finding a raging hornet. I would be tempted to find a smith to make a cylinder for 17 mink :shock: :mrgreen: I especiall see this being a reduced load tree-rat smacker. Mmmm....biscuits and gravy!

That is fun stuff man!
I've got the itch...I just don't have the scratch!

If is supposed to have a sharp edge, and doesn't...get a hold of me.

JINGWEED
Double Silver Star Level Site Supporter

Postby JINGWEED » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:59 pm

Doesn't surprise me one bit that you would make a comment like that. But you aren't gettin your mink back that I have. I love that gun. I can't believe you sold it. Happy! but still can't believe it. If you have anymore like that to part with i'll send you some scratch :D HINT: Buzz...Meow... :roll:

larry

Postby larry » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:31 am

JINGWEED wrote:Doesn't surprise me one bit that you would make a comment like that. But you aren't gettin your mink back that I have. I love that gun. I can't believe you sold it. Happy! but still can't believe it. If you have anymore like that to part with i'll send you some scratch :D HINT: Buzz...Meow... :roll:

LOL...I am glad you like it. Guys get suspicious when you sell you a gun you just built...there is just something I didn't care for. STILL can't put a finger on it.

It is a super accurate rifle, and it is a looker. I would post a picture of it, but it isn't mine any more to do...what a sweet rifle.

I won't sell my 17 Mink, or 17AH, the ones built on CZ's...just about any of the others could though.

Larry

Ralph, I think you need a 20 BR bench gun, with an extra barrel in 22BR. It was built by Bob Green, and shoots bug holes too.
I've got the itch...I just don't have the scratch!

If is supposed to have a sharp edge, and doesn't...get a hold of me.

JINGWEED

Postby JINGWEED » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:23 am

I have been looking for a handgun for my wife and daughter. What I have come up with and neither one likes autos so I narrowed it down to the Charter Arms stainless ultra lite at 1 pound and 1 oz. in 32 H&R MAGNUM 2" barrel. It's a very lite gun with manageable recoil and I think sufficient for self defense. The balistics puts it in front of the 380 auto and Buds list them at $281.00 with free shipping. Any suggestions on this or perhaps another gun. Revolver! I carry a Sig p230 and my wife can't even work the slide so that's why the autos are out.
Thanks,
Ralph

Return to “MISC: Rimfires, Handguns, Knives, Cooking”